Quick question in regards to foam cove/walls/floor

May 24, 2013
Hey guys, I have decided to do foam wall covering, foam cove and foam flooring instead of sand.

What is the correct layering to do in this case?

These are the options I see:

1) Foam floor first, the cove on top of that and then the foam on the walls.

2) Foam on the walls first, foam floor, the foam cove.

3) Foam on the floor, foam on the walls, foam cove.

I am leaning towards #3 being the most logical (as in there would be the most give and evenness between the mating areas), and if I had a sand floor I can see putting down the foam cove first and then the sand on top of it (since the cove keeps the sand from washing out in that case), but what about an all-foam installation?

Well, just ordered 4 cans of the Gladon spray adhesive.

I figure I will use it not only on the walls, but also for gluing the pool cove pieces to each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, here is one question I have not seen answered anywhere else...

Do I want to glue the cove to the wall/floor at all???

I would almost assume you would not, since you would want it to be able to squish independently without it pulling on either the floor or the wall as it fills with water. That way nothing rips/tears or pulls out of place. I could see possibly a small section of each cove backing paper being removed, just to allow it tack to the wall to stay in place, but not so much that it wouldn't just pull away from the wall foam if it starts shifting with water pressure. My point being that you would reduce gaps, seams, etc by allowing the pieces to "float" against one another, since with the water in the liner things will compress outwards on all foam components.

Any arguments to that logic?

I don't think I've seen anyone glue the foam cove..... Just use the adhesive that comes with the foam cove, its more than enough to hold stuff in place... :)

Hi everyone! This is my first time post here & this caught my attention....We are in Canada so maybe this is only for cold climates but we have foam coving and we only used the sticky adhesive on the back side of the coving. After the first year, we noticed that the coving started to "slide up" a bit. Inside the pool there is a wee gap on the bottom that is like a hiding place for algae to grow if not cleaned out properly. Just my experience but looking back, I would most definitly use some sort of glue as well to use on the foam coving.

Hi everyone! This is my first time post here & this caught my attention....We are in Canada so maybe this is only for cold climates but we have foam coving and we only used the sticky adhesive on the back side of the coving. After the first year, we noticed that the coving started to "slide up" a bit. Inside the pool there is a wee gap on the bottom that is like a hiding place for algae to grow if not cleaned out properly. Just my experience but looking back, I would most definitly use some sort of glue as well to use on the foam coving.

Thanks for the reply!

Is the "gap" you are referring to only on pools with a sand bottom?

I could see that if you put the foam cove on top of the sand instead of below the sand.

If it is on pools with a foam floor, then you are basically saying the foam cove needs to be glued to the foam floor as well as the foam wall.

I have no problem doing both. I just want to make sure I am not creating other issues by gluing everything together.

I am in SE Wisconsin, USA, so we get darn cold winters also... This last winter was just brutal, so I am hoping the foam on the walls will aid in keeping the liner from tearing...

HA! See we are newbies to this pool thing and installed it ourselves! That makes sense to us now that you say the foam cove on the foam floor....A little over kill eh?
Goodness I cant remember if ours has a sand floor. I know we put foam on the bottom of it though....
I think it truly looks terrible from the outside if you look at the bottom of the pool... Kinda like a buldge around the bottom of the pool the whole way around it.
Wish we knew of this site before we installed, we could have researched alot more on installation!

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.