Zero CC but still smelly

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
Hey everybody! So I'm cruising along with the TFPC method (really is a piece of cake), keeping FC levels between 4 and 7 (CYA at 45) not letting it go below 3.5. Hardly any CC, the test never turns pink to begin with.

But it smells like a public pool. You know, that heavy chlorine-ish smell. Well, not always, but sometimes. Especially at night, and especially when running the spa. On the other hand, during the daytime, which is when I run the pump for about 7 hours, I don't smell anything and the water's totally clear.

From what I understand, the chlorine smell originates from combined chloramines. If that's been registering 0 on my tests, what could the smell be coming from? For a minute I thought it was ozone from the ozonator, but it doesn't smell like ozone either.

Thanks in advance.

A spa is always going to smell more. Due to the hotter water, little bubbles and vapors and all the human waste (like sweat ... or course) in a warm small body of water. As such the FC may drop rapidly and the CC while in the spa mode may be climbing. Have you tested the FC and CC out of the spa either during or right after use?

I have not. I always have tested the water from the main pool. I've just assumed that since the spa is attached to the pool with a spillover, the chemicals are at the same levels.
Eventually, they will be, but it takes time for things to reach equilibrium.

I'll smell that public pool smell on myself if I jump in immediately after mowing the lawn, just from all the sweat combining with the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.