Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zero CC but still smelly

1. Back To Top    #1

Zero CC but still smelly

Hey everybody! So I'm cruising along with the TFPC method (really is a piece of cake), keeping FC levels between 4 and 7 (CYA at 45) not letting it go below 3.5. Hardly any CC, the test never turns pink to begin with.

But it smells like a public pool. You know, that heavy chlorine-ish smell. Well, not always, but sometimes. Especially at night, and especially when running the spa. On the other hand, during the daytime, which is when I run the pump for about 7 hours, I don't smell anything and the water's totally clear.

From what I understand, the chlorine smell originates from combined chloramines. If that's been registering 0 on my tests, what could the smell be coming from? For a minute I thought it was ozone from the ozonator, but it doesn't smell like ozone either.

Thanks in advance.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Zero CC but still smelly

My combine chlorine oscillates between 0 and 0.5, I too smell heavy chlorine-ish smell especially during spa mode(heated). I assume it is normal, at least in my case I have not experienced any high chlorine demand.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

3. Back To Top    #3

A spa is always going to smell more. Due to the hotter water, little bubbles and vapors and all the human waste (like sweat ... or course) in a warm small body of water. As such the FC may drop rapidly and the CC while in the spa mode may be climbing. Have you tested the FC and CC out of the spa either during or right after use?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not. I always have tested the water from the main pool. I've just assumed that since the spa is attached to the pool with a spillover, the chemicals are at the same levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by yardoasis View Post
    I have not. I always have tested the water from the main pool. I've just assumed that since the spa is attached to the pool with a spillover, the chemicals are at the same levels.
    Eventually, they will be, but it takes time for things to reach equilibrium.

I'll smell that public pool smell on myself if I jump in immediately after mowing the lawn, just from all the sweat combining with the chlorine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!