Mar 2, 2014
Cincinnati OH
I will start off by saying I don't know what kind of pump I have (I do know I have a Hayward filter system).

We came home tonight to one of the hoses being unattached from the pump. There is a couple inches of water currently surrounding it. We do have the plug with a gfci installed.

I haven't been outside but my husband says the pump is not working and of course, our water level is down. He tried to turn the pump off and on but nothing happened. He doesn't want to do much else right now until the water dissipates with the electric and all (we had a big rain storm too)

My question is: do pumps, perhaps, have a mechanism built in so that if they get hot (due to no water going thru), that they shut off?

Could the pump have burned out?

Could the gfci sensed the water and shut all off?

Sorry for the lack of correct terminology..I am just hoping we don't have to get a new pump.

Many thanks!

Motors will not shut themselves off. There is an overheating sensor, but after cooling it would turn back on.
I would certainly check the GFCI first and hope that is the issue.

The circuit breaker in the panel might be tripped. The gfci is probably tripped. If the gfci got wet, it should be replaced. If the motor got wet inside, it might be worthwhile to have it checked at a motor shop.

Note: Don't do anything that you are not sure you can do safely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.