Water tests question

Jun 6, 2014
NYC
Good evening I have been getting high ph and alk results with the last tests. I have a 21 ft round pool I believe it holds 10,000 gals of water. I had to empty it and patch a whole which seems to be leaking a little still so I have to refill a few inch of water every three days or so. Now I tested today an found my chlorine is low. I have a floating dispenser I have 1 1/2 3 inch tabs in there. What do you think of these numbers below

6/21. 6/22 pm. 6/23
Cl 1.0. Cl 0.4 Cl 0.2
Ph 7.8. Ph 7.3. Ph 7.6
Alk 173. Alk 164. Alk 160

Any help would be great on what to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to make a guess at what is going on here, but it is just a guess as we do not have enough information.

I am going to guess that before the drain you had been using trichlor pucks for a while, after the drain and refill you went right back to using them. I am also going to guess that you have fairly high pH fill water. Now the trichlor pucks do 3 things, they add FC, they add CYA and they are very acidic so they lower pH. The chlorine gets used up, and the CYA stabilizer builds up in the water, this CYA protects the Chlorine from breaking down under UV light from the sun. A little is good, but to much hampers the ability of the chlorine from doing its job which is why we generally advise against long term use of trichlor. So what you are likely seeing now is the effect of the CYA trying to lower the pH on the pool, and the replacement fill water raising it. Your FC is low because there is not enough CYA to protect it during the day from the sunlight.

Again this is all a guess based on the little information we have.

My advice is to read the pool school link in the upper right of this page and pay particular attention to the effects of chemicals section.

Ike

Thank u for ur answer. As to give u more information about the pool idk anything about it I just moved into a home with a pool and it had a home water was drained out cleaned liner and patched hole like stated before. Idk the name of the CL tabs I am using being that I'm not by my pool. Can I test my water like I do with the pool water to see if it's high PH. What other CL can I use? I had a pool when I was younger and I did all the reading and now I forgot everything.im gonna try and get aside rent type of CL tabs. I'm also using a hayward filter an 1.5 HP pump. I will let u know what type of CL I am using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello I am home now and this is what my CL contains trichloro-s-triazinetrione.this is my most recent test that I did today
cl 0.0
ph 7.4
alk 158

should I change my CL tabs? should I shock the pool? should I use liquid CL? I read some things on the fourms here but couldn't do that much with kids running around. thank you for your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.