Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover on during SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover on during SLAM?

So I'm 2 days into the SLAM, I've had my solar cover on most of the time, only pulling it back to peek at the clarity. Does leaving the cover on have a negative effect?

Using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover on during SLAM?

It is much better to leave the solar cover off when SLAMing. The SLAM process is much more effective if the pool gets lots of UV, which is blocked by the cover. The pool also needs to breathe, technically allow things to outgas, which again the cover will prevent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    It is much better to leave the solar cover off when SLAMing. The SLAM process is much more effective if the pool gets lots of UV, which is blocked by the cover. The pool also needs to breathe, technically allow things to outgas, which again the cover will prevent.
    What about leaving the cover on all the time when the pull isn't in use and I'm not SLAM'ing? Could this cause a slight cloudyness?

Using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4

I usually leave the solar cover on at night to hold the heat in, but usually uncover it as much as I can during the day (unless it's going to be really windy because we get lots of leaves). I found that I was getting that pink bacteria/algae if I left the solar cover on too much.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

You want the cover off at least a few hours a week. Leaving the cover on absolutely all the time tends to result in cloudiness and CC problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I noticed a big difference from last year (my 1st year) to now with the use of the solar cover. Last year I left it on all the time unless we were swimming and we had cloudiness. This year I open it up in the morning and since our pool has been so warm ( upper 80's to low 90's recently there have been nights I do not cover it. The pool literally sparkles.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

7. Back To Top    #7

That's great, thanks everyone!!

20x40 IG Vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Pentair Pump, Southwest Part of MI
    Using Tapatalk