Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A newbie with a question go figure

1. Back To Top    #1

A newbie with a question go figure

Ok so I finally got my test kit (TF-100) plus the magnetic stirrer very cool little gadget. I certainly do recommend it. Anyways here are my results
    PH-8.2 or more
    Chlorine over 5
    FC-.45
    CC no
    Calcium-200
    TA-100
    CYA-0
    water is at 85 F
    What should I tackle first ?????

Thanks in advance
    22k,IG Vinyl,Hayward Dual Speed Pump,Hayward Cartridge filter C3030,SWG 9 Cell Pro-Logic, 4 Relay System,Dolphin Supreme M4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A newbie with a question go figure

Use the weekly chlorine test (uses R-0870 power and R-0871 drops) to measure the FC level more precisely. The next step depends on what the FC level really is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks again for the help Jason.I did do the powder and drops and the calculation came out to .45
    22k,IG Vinyl,Hayward Dual Speed Pump,Hayward Cartridge filter C3030,SWG 9 Cell Pro-Logic, 4 Relay System,Dolphin Supreme M4

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Partsjockey View Post
    Thanks again for the help Jason.I did do the powder and drops and the calculation came out to .45
    Please read the instructions again and/or you can see the youtube video, link in my sig. Use the 10ml directions and post back.

btw, get that pH down to the mid 7's asap.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Newbie question again SORRY

Ok so I tested my water again These are the results
    Salt 3800
    FC 0
    PH about 7.8
    Calcium 200
    TA 80
    CYA 0
    The calculator suggests 14 lbs stabilizer and about a jug of bleach. Now how much of the stabilizer should I put in and should I put the pump on high for a couple of hours ?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would add enough CYA to get to about 50ppm. Wait a week after it dissolves to retest and then add more to get up to the 70-80ppm.
    Get about 2ppm of FC in the pool ASAP and tehn start raising it as the CYA dissolves based on the FC/CYA Chart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

ok Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok so my chlorine is gone up 1.5 my PH is gone down to about 7.6 and my cya is gone up a little bit 20 . So slowly buy surely its getting back on track . Now I find that when you open your eyes under water it's not very clear . Any thoughts ????

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would add enough CYA to get to about 50ppm. Wait a week after it dissolves to retest and then add more to get up to the 70-80ppm.
    Get about 2ppm of FC in the pool ASAP and tehn start raising it as the CYA dissolves based on the FC/CYA Chart.
    Get CYA to 70-80 ppm?
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

cya would make it unclear to see under water ?

11. Back To Top    #11

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Do NOT raise CYA at this stage.
    "my chlorine is gone up 1.5" - you last reported FC 0, so your FC is 1.5? At CYA 20, you are below minimum FC levels - this would be a reason why "when you open your eyes under water it's not very clear".
    I'd suggest you raise FC immediately, then run an OCLT to rule out organics before raising your CYA.

CYA doesn't make it unclear to see under water in and of its own self, you need to maintain the FC/CYA ratio to prevent algae; algae will make the water unclear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok thanks will try that