Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety cover anchor holes with chipped concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Buffalo, NY

Safety cover anchor holes with chipped concrete

I had a cover installed last fall. The installer didn't do a great job drilling the holes. First off you can see the chipping. Second, many anchors are set lower than the surrounding concrete, as much as 3/8". Obviously the appearance is not great, but I am also concerned about water getting in there, freezing and making it worse. I have searched and found the brass anchor rings. Unfortunately even those won't cover many of the chips. I also found the fish and sun plastic anchor covers. I actually bought some, but they don't fit very well. I bought some concrete patch repair that I plan to try, but thought I would ask if anyone has other suggestions. Also, is my expectation that this should not have happened too high? Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Rochester, NY

Re: Safety cover anchor holes with chipped concrete

Hi wrbeyer,
    I'm in rochester, N.Y.. My concrete was done in August 2013 and anchor hoes were drilled on October, some of ours look the same way. We asked our pool builder and they said it happened even to older pools this year do to the cold temps.

I'd like to hear what others have to say. Thanks for asking
    18' x 38' IG Vinyl 21K
    1.5 Hp Hayward pump
    Double main drain, 4 returns
    Rheem heater
    18' x 6' Sun ledge, Automatic Cover, Interfab Extreme Slide

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine were installed last October and did the same thing...I think it was from the PB hammering the brass fittings down. We just sealed the concrete.

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump
    20x44.5 (3.5 feet SE, 10 feet DE), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Cartridge (C4030), 2HP Hayward Super Pump (SP2615X20), 2 main drains, 5 returns, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0, Circu Pool RJ60 SWG, Hayward Heat Pro 140K BTU, Polaris 380, Polaris Booster Pump (PB4-60),

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Some chipping is normal with a hammer drill. The bit used, however, can make a difference.
    Two bladed bits do not drill as clean a hole as a four bladed bit.
    Worn bits don't drill as cleanly as fresh, high quality bits.
    That said, good bits are expensive. So the final result is a function of the installer and his choice of tools.

We use four bladed Bosch bits and brass trim rings.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!