Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light Cord Sealing

1. Back To Top    #1

Light Cord Sealing

I replaced my light fixture and cord and want to seal up the cord light conduit at the hole in the niche. I bought some JB Weld WaterWeld epoxy putty (Home Depot). (I still have water in the pool).
    I kneaded it up and then proceeded to push it into the conduit hole...... IT WON'T STICK .....My niche (in ground plaster pool) is some kind of metal.
    What is the best brand that will stick good when applying it under water?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Light Cord Sealing

That conduit is designed to be full of water, so sealing it is not required. I think they are usually brass.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am actually trying to find a leak and wanted to cross this off the possibility list...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

If you seal that conduit up you are going to have an extremely difficult time if you every need to replace the light fixture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There is a product called cord stopper which is a rubber plug with 2 holes in it (one for the light cord and a second for the ground wire), this plug fits into the hole of your niche to prevent water going back into the light conduit.

You can see this product here

Not sure if it is absolutely necessary, however I did replace my light fixture a few weeks ago and we had to dig up some of the conduit and it would have been nice to have these in place as the water leaking back into the pipe made it a bear to repair the conduit.