Ditching the "chemical package" from the retailer... What to purchase?

Jun 17, 2014
Chicago, Il
Ditching the "chemical package" from the retailer... What to purchase?

Hi All,

You guys have been extremely helpful and have given me tons of much needed advice. With all that you given me, I've decided to ditch the "package" the store was trying to sell me all together. I've done my homework on pumps and filters (thanks to you guys) and have decided on those. I now need some input on chemicals or substitutes. I've read a lot about BBB... My question to you, is what do I need to purchase day one? Should I only be purchasing those or other stuff from a pool store? I'd like to get my test kit and "chemicals" before my installation, but was wondering if there is a list or something you'd recommend. I tried searching and my apologies if this info is already out there. I'm guess I'm looking for a new owners "shopping list." Lol

Lastly, I decided not to go with the retailers "cleaning accessory kit" either. Can you guys tell me the essentials needed to physically clean my pool? Net, vacuum etc... The kits they sell come w a crappy manual vac... Would you suggest I get a robot? Since my pool will be small (15ft) I don't want to go with anything that is overkill.

Thanks again for all of your input! This site is sooo valuable!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI... I have absolutely NO leaves in my yard. There are no trees close by. :)

Have for day one:
- Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value.
- Stabilizer (you will want 30-50ppm ... use PoolMath). Can be purchased at Walmart or hardware stores in the pool section. Look for Stabilizer=Conditioner=cyanuric acid
- A few bottle of bleach to maintain FC levels

After it is full, you can test the pH and TA and see if those need adjusted. Although you can get a decent idea by testing your tap water.

Equipment
- Pole
- brush
- leaf rake and/or skimmer
- hose & manual vacuum head and/or automated cleaner (suction or electric robot)
- Up there, you likely want a solar cover as well.

Have for day one:
- Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value.
- Stabilizer (you will want 30-50ppm ... use PoolMath). Can be purchased at Walmart or hardware stores in the pool section. Look for Stabilizer=Conditioner=cyanuric acid
- A few bottle of bleach to maintain FC levels

After it is full, you can test the pH and TA and see if those need adjusted. Although you can get a decent idea by testing your tap water.

Equipment
- Pole
- brush
- leaf rake and/or skimmer
- hose & manual vacuum head and/or automated cleaner (suction or electric robot)
- Up there, you likely want a solar cover as well.
this is a great list, but I would say even if you get some automated cleaner you still want a hose and vacuum head.

Hi Nina,

Yeah, its me again, from your last thread. I am glad you're stepping back and having another look at what you want and need instead of what someone else is trying to push on you.
I really feel this is the best and you will be much happier.

Starter chemical kit is what Jason (jblizzle) recommended to start with would be an excellent starting point.
I would only recommend to add a gallon of muriatic acid. The acid is what you use to bring the Ph down if its too high.

Please keep asking questions too! YOu will get all the help you could imagine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.