Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ditching the "chemical package" from the retailer... What to purchase?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ditching the "chemical package" from the retailer... What to purchase?

Hi All,

You guys have been extremely helpful and have given me tons of much needed advice. With all that you given me, I've decided to ditch the "package" the store was trying to sell me all together. I've done my homework on pumps and filters (thanks to you guys) and have decided on those. I now need some input on chemicals or substitutes. I've read a lot about BBB... My question to you, is what do I need to purchase day one? Should I only be purchasing those or other stuff from a pool store? I'd like to get my test kit and "chemicals" before my installation, but was wondering if there is a list or something you'd recommend. I tried searching and my apologies if this info is already out there. I'm guess I'm looking for a new owners "shopping list." Lol

Lastly, I decided not to go with the retailers "cleaning accessory kit" either. Can you guys tell me the essentials needed to physically clean my pool? Net, vacuum etc... The kits they sell come w a crappy manual vac... Would you suggest I get a robot? Since my pool will be small (15ft) I don't want to go with anything that is overkill.

Thanks again for all of your input! This site is sooo valuable!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI... I have absolutely NO leaves in my yard. There are no trees close by.
    Have a deposit on:
    AG 15ft Round 54in/5500 gallons Wilbar Quest w/ stainless steel side panel
    Hayward SwimPro 110 Filter, Hayward SwimPro 2HP 2Spd Pump
    Vision Pro Nature Sanitizer
    Here to figure out if this package that I have on hold is sufficient...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ditching the "chemical package" from the retailer... What to purchase?

Have for day one:
    - Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value.
    - Stabilizer (you will want 30-50ppm ... use PoolMath). Can be purchased at Walmart or hardware stores in the pool section. Look for Stabilizer=Conditioner=cyanuric acid
    - A few bottle of bleach to maintain FC levels

After it is full, you can test the pH and TA and see if those need adjusted. Although you can get a decent idea by testing your tap water.

Equipment
    - Pole
    - brush
    - leaf rake and/or skimmer
    - hose & manual vacuum head and/or automated cleaner (suction or electric robot)
    - Up there, you likely want a solar cover as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure you check the % of sodium hypochlorite on the bleach bottle before you buy it. If it dont say then it is a really low %, so just pass it up and look some more.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Have for day one:
    - Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value.
    - Stabilizer (you will want 30-50ppm ... use PoolMath). Can be purchased at Walmart or hardware stores in the pool section. Look for Stabilizer=Conditioner=cyanuric acid
    - A few bottle of bleach to maintain FC levels

After it is full, you can test the pH and TA and see if those need adjusted. Although you can get a decent idea by testing your tap water.

Equipment
    - Pole
    - brush
    - leaf rake and/or skimmer
    - hose & manual vacuum head and/or automated cleaner (suction or electric robot)
    - Up there, you likely want a solar cover as well.
    this is a great list, but I would say even if you get some automated cleaner you still want a hose and vacuum head.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I am in the similar boat as the original poster. For liquid chlorine, do you walk around the pool and pour them in? How much should one pour in? I am moving to a house with a pool that has been serviced by a company (was told by the agent).

Thanks,
    TT

6. Back To Top    #6

How much you need depends on the size of your pool, and what your test results tell you.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Nina,

Yeah, its me again, from your last thread. I am glad you're stepping back and having another look at what you want and need instead of what someone else is trying to push on you.
    I really feel this is the best and you will be much happier.

Starter chemical kit is what Jason (jblizzle) recommended to start with would be an excellent starting point.
    I would only recommend to add a gallon of muriatic acid. The acid is what you use to bring the Ph down if its too high.

Please keep asking questions too! YOu will get all the help you could imagine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!