Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unknown Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Unknown Stains

I gave some stains forming on my fiberglass pool,and have tried the vitamin C tablet test. The stains did not lesson and cannot be removed unless you take steel wool to them which I do not want to do on clear coat.the stains are brownish in color. I am in a rural area and all water is well water, even the fire department who fills pools around here. Stains are only on flat surfaces like seats and steps. Attached is picture...should I go ahead and to the AA treatment to see what happens?image.jpg
    Leisure Riviera 34 15k Fiberglass IG; Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Super Pump dual speed .75/1.5 HP; Pentair PG-2000 Fiber Optic Lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unknown Stains

Big question: were they high-quality Vitamin C tablets? That's not what you want. The pill coating interferes. The cheap stuff is what you want. If you have good ones, crush a few and try them.

Check out this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Yellow-Stains
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That may be the problem then...I will go by Wally World tomorrow and get some cheap ones. Nice thing is the pools is now crystal clear thanks to the DE sand treatment we did for two weeks! Bad thing is you can see these little stains now
    Leisure Riviera 34 15k Fiberglass IG; Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Super Pump dual speed .75/1.5 HP; Pentair PG-2000 Fiber Optic Lights.

4. Back To Top    #4

All I could find was vitamin C with Rose hips added...should I look elsewhere?

5. Back To Top    #5

Why not just crush up some of the ones you have already, to bypass the coating? If you don;t have any, just look for the store brand at Walgreens or RiteAid or wherever.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I got some cheap ones and tried rubbing on the stains, holding on the stains, and crushing up and using on the stains. None of these removed the stains...now what?

7. Back To Top    #7

Latest update! I crushed up about twenty pills into small chunks and placed them over a spot in the pool with several stains. I left them for thirty minutes and they dissolved into a fine powder over the stains. I then brushed off the powder and notice the stains are much lighter. With this in kind should I double the recommended dosage of ascorbic acid?

8. Back To Top    #8

I would li

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by amccaul View Post
    Latest update! I crushed up about twenty pills into small chunks and placed them over a spot in the pool with several stains. I left them for thirty minutes and they dissolved into a fine powder over the stains. I then brushed off the powder and notice the stains are much lighter. With this in kind should I double the recommended dosage of ascorbic acid?
    Hoping somebody can clear the dosage amount question up for me...thanks in advance!