Help with a difficult to keep primed pump

crd26a

Jun 23, 2014
Washington
Thanks to any in advance for the help with the following

We bought our house in 2012 with a pool in the back. Its an 8k gallon vinyl lined in-ground pool, 3/4 hp pump with a clean & clear cartridge filter. Unfortunately, the genius that designed it placed the pump & filter effectively one story above the water level, as well as a good 50-60 feet away. In finding all the tricks, I can finally figure out how to get it primed with some efficiency (and thanks to some plumbing changes).

Here's my problem. Starting last summer, the pump has begun to lose its prime whenever it is not running. Within a few hours of shutting off the pump, it will become completely deprimed, forcing me to have to manually reprime the pump. This causes us to not be able to keep the pump on a timer, its either on 24/7 or not at all.

We had two separate pool repair firms out last year, neither able to find any kind of leak around the machinery, but also unable to diagnose why/how it would lose its prime. One did redo some plumbing for me (finding the original installation of a backflow valve was done completely incorrectly, aka upside down as well as being a vertically valve put in a horizontal line, put in a water fill line at the pump to help give it water as well as a sliding valve to shut for when I change the basket) and helped setup for an easier prime. However this year the problem persists. Manually prime, run, have to shut off.

This year however, I'm afraid its developed into a worse issue, probably pointing to bad lines. On Saturday, we ran the pump & heater. Prior to bed, I had the pump shut off with the waterline at approximately the mid-point of the skimmer inlet . Ambient temperature during the day in the 70's, at night, 50's. By the next morning, the water level had dropped to below skimmer bottom, pointing towards 3-4 inches of waterloss in under 16 hours.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm hoping there is a simple solution, however, I'm afraid of it becoming something much more.

Thanks,
Chris

During the pump operation do you see any air bubbles in the strainer basket or any bubbles in the return jets? Most of the time it is because of suction side air leak, look into the below thread, it may give you some idea.

SUCTION SIDE AIR LEAKS

There is some at the top of it now, so will take a look and see what I can find. The bigger concerning factor for me right now is the large water drop after turning on the pool pump. Its more than just evaporation, but if the pump hasn't been running, we won't see the same level of water drop. I'm sure the water having been heated helps with some of the evaporation, but to see inches of drop in my pool in a matter of hours concerns me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.