Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirty pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirty pool

I have a situation that I think is a bit odd.

Yesterday afternoon I vacuumed the pool, then changed out the cart. We had a quick heavy rain (1/2" rain) early this morning. When I checked the pool it was a little bit cloudy, so I turned the filter pump on. Came back an hour later, and pool is now clear again, but looked like I hadn't vacuumed. all the dirt had settled to the bottom, like circulating the water had caused it to fall out of suspension. Fresh filter not that dirty, but obviously had caught a lot of crud from the water.

Question is, does anyone else see this happening in their pools?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirty pool

I suppose you'd like to see some numbers for my water, to rule out chemistry.

FC -- 5 I keep it between 4 and 8. Yes a little high. Compensates for the dogs swimming.
    CC -- 0 (barely pink, 1/2 drop or less would clear it, 10mL sample)
    pH -- 7.4 rock steady until I have to add water.
    TA -- 80
    CH -- 100 -180 indeterminate end point problem
    CYA -- 35ish, between 30 and 40

Went back to Pool School, Extended tests. CH 90 by that method.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep...........every dadgum time it rains! Rain equals water molecule wrapped around a dust particle or something else.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

But why would (I'm guessing) 1/2 of the dust settle after the pump is turned on? Is it similar in action to the cyclone dust separators? Round pool, with a 3" slope to the center. Surely that wouldn't be enough of a slope to cause that. The coating of dust appears to be fairly evenly distributed throughout the pool. You can clearly see every doggone wrinkle and divot in the pool floor.

5. Back To Top    #5

The same thing is happening to me lately...though, again, it does seem like it is raining every other day here. I just wouldn't think the rain is causing the dirt.

With the pump, I notice that the "dirt" or watever it is seems to accumulate more on the side of my pool AWAY from the return jet, so is it possible that when the pump is on it tends to push the dirt to one side (the side opposite the return jet) where it then accumluates?....like you, I seem to think that if the dirt was spread around the water somewhat evenly that you would not notice accumulations of dirt in certain spots. The amount of dirt I see seems to be inversely proportional to the distance from the return jet.
    24 ft. above ground pool, 13,500 gallons, installed summer 2013
    Cartridge Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX pump
    Main drain
    5 happy swimming children
    NW Indiana

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If you have a cover, is there dirt/dust/ pollen on it when you leave it for a few days? Mine, yes, definitely. We live near a highway, and also, pollen has been terrible the past few weeks.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Any flat surface gets a coating of dust after a few days here.