I'm sure this has been asked a 100 times but... still confused :(

Brand new pool owner here, just getting water filled up to skimmer level. Filter and pump should be up and running soon, (as soon as water is up to correct level). Sig has the pool info. I dont have the test kit that you all use yet, right now just have the 6-way test kit (not strips). What would you say the first thing I should do is?? As I said, the filter/pump is not running as it is still filling, and we had some bad weather and the pool is nice and swampy. Should I test it first? I'm getting confused on if I should just start shocking it with bleach, or using an algaecide? Or Do I test and follow that accordingly? Thanks !

Your first step is to buy a good test kit.

Since it is new water you should go with a value of 0 in the CYA part.

-use pool math to see how much chlorine/bleach to add to get your pool to SLAM level. ADD it.

-use pool math to see how much stabilizer (CYA) you need to add to get up to about 30-buy it and add it using the sock method. Once you add the CYA use that number in the pool math.

-Read and reread the SLAM method and do what it says. Keep your FC up to the SLAM level until you pass the OCLT.

Read and read and read pool school.

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we can help you with the testing if you need it.

Good luck!

Kim

Last edited:
Ok. So would I work on getting the CYA up first or adding the bleach because of the algae?
Both, use pool math to figure how much CYA you need, then add 50/60% of that amount to a sock and hang it in from of a return. At that point assume the 50/60 % CYA is there. You will add more later to get to your goal, but you don't want to over shoot it adding it all at once. Remember, it takes up to a week for the CYA to register on the test.

While the CYA is hanging you can add the bleach. If you still don't have the pump running brush/sweep the pool to circulate the bleach. Another early goal will be to get the pump running.

Start bleach first, don't wait for CYA, but add the CYA as soon as you get it.

Kimkats, when you posted "use pool math to see how much chlorine/bleach to add to get your pool to show level." guessing you meant SLAM level ? (stupid autocorrect ;))

Pump running full time, might want to have it on recirculate if you're not around to check for filter getting clogged & pressure going up. Do you have a pressure gauge on the pump/filter ?

the pump/filter will have a pressure gauge on it, its a sand filter, but of course I dont know what the gauge should normally be as it is new and dealing with a swampy pool to start. OK, I think I will start adding the bleach tonight, hoping to have the pump up and running tomorrow.

BTW I believe tim5055 and I are actually saying the same thing, but I think he's assuming you already have CYA and I am assuming that you only have bleach.

If you are adding bleach without the pump running then pour it evenly around the edge and follow up with some brushing to get it mixed in. Once the pump is running you can pour the bleach slowly in front of the return so the water coming back to the pool will mix it up for you.

When you start running the pump watch the gauge and record/remember the reading after a minute or so. When the reading gets ~25% higher than that, it's time to backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.