Sanitizer Setting on Intellichlor Chlorine Generator with Solar Blanket Installed

May 21, 2014
Rogers, AR
Hi - New to TFP...

Second year with Saltwater Pool, and decided to use a Solar Blanket this summer to help keep water temp more comfortable.

Last year, I could set IC-40 at 60% output and chlorine levels were perfect all summer.

This year, high Chlorine levels (ie: 5 - 10 ppm) despite adjusting output down to 20 or 40%.

Any directional recommendations on Sanitizer Settings while using a Solar Cover/Blanket?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I'm surprised you are seeing such a difference. What is your current CYA level and how does that compare to last summer?

I keep detailed records.... easy to answer!

Last year .... same timeframe CYA was in the 20s

This year, CYA has been a bit high - in 80's; however most recent test put it about 50.

One concern - Have you ever heard of a Intellichlor Unit malfunction by OVER chlorinating? The unit is about 3 - 4 years old. I inherited with the house we bought last spring. It still has serviceable hours left on it, but I have been battling high chlorine levels this year even prior to using solar cover.

Thanks again!

Well, Pentair recommends 50-80ppm CYA for the Intellichlor, so you were losing a lot of chlorine to the sun last year. Your IC40 is designed to handle pools up to 40,000 gallons, so you were working it hard last year, but because it is oversized it could handle it. This year your CYA has been more reasonable, so you should throttle it way down to maintain appropriate levels. Note the appropriate chlorine levels in the Chlorine CYA Chart

John - Thanks, you are right. I have been trying my best to learn the right levels and dial it in.

Every printout I would get from local pool store would recommend CYA level of 20 -50.... Also, I had learned some time ago that IC 40 was oversized for the pool. Again, I found out that LPS sold it to previous owners.... The good news is!!!! I can throttle back output this year to 20% (instead of 60%) and work it a lot less!!!! Makes sense!!!!

Other things I learned .... LPS tried to recommend a 350K BTU heater for this pool! I opted to go my own route based on research and settled on the 125K BTU unit! BIG SAVINGS upfront...

Anyway.... THANKS!!!! This website has been a great resource!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.