Using a Christmas lights timer for a Pool Timer

Apr 21, 2014
Virginia
Hi everyone, first post. I just installed the 26x52 in my backyard. The pump that came with the pool was pitiful. So I bought the Hayward S210T PRO-SERIES ABOVE GROUND FILTER SYSTEM W/1.5HP PUMP off of ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayward-S21...Sand-Filter-w-1-5-HP-Pump-S210T-/130636621570
I also purchased the Saltwater (with ozone) chlorinator http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Saltwater-System-Filter/dp/B00AA8AB60/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top The Hayward pump is rated for 13ish amps and the chlorinator is around 1.5 amps My buddy and I ran a dedicated 20 amp line into an outdoor, 20 amp waterproof box (with an already installed GFCI and a power switch). It was $31. Anyways, my wife is a Christmas light fiend so she has a few intermatic 15amp timers in storage. The chlorinator has a timer in it already so it would plug directly into one of the sockets in the gfci. For the other GFCI socket, I would like to know if I could plug the 15 amp timer into it, then the Hayward pump (only) into the timer? Would this work?

Reading other posts, I have seen people mention inductive loads buy I have no idea what that is.

That timer would be stressed a bit to handle the pump motor.

While the motor is running, it will draw close to what the dataplate suggests, but when starting up, will draw up to 10 times the running current for a few milliseconds. A few cycles of that and the timer is toast.

Better to get one that is motor duty rated.

And Welcome to TFP!

Just like others have stated in their 'timer' posts, I also do not want to hard wire something into the panel. The pump has a 3 prong plug. Would a motor duty rated 15 amp timer work (if such a thing exists)? Is there anything out there in the big box stores like HD, Lowes, Harbor Freight that you would recommend I could plug into? I just want to pick up something today without paying a small fortune.

Since your pump is rated at 1.5hp, none of the cheap 15 amp timers will handle it.

Note that you can put an outlet on the Intermatic timer, without hard wiring your pump to it. Do check National Electric Code (NEC) section 680. You will probably need to change your pump cord end to a twist-lock style, and same for the outlet on the timer.

Most everything I see from that link is at best 1/2 hp rated.

this is the exact timer I used on my .95 HP Intex 2650 Sandfilter pump, and now on my 1.5 HP Hayward 2 speed pump. I have had zero issues. I have no idea what the rating is, but it runs my pump 4hrs in the morning, (sometimes on high for autovac), and 2 hours in the evening and is handling it just fine.

i gave I think 17 for it though, price may be cheaper on the net than in the store, which is often the case with walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Westek-TM...cketdefault&findingMethod=p13n#Specifications

I use a Brinks digital 15amp timer from walmart on a 2hp 2speed pump. I can only use it on low speed because high speed is rated 16amps. We bought another Brinks timer, a newer model, and it kept resetting itself. Took it back to Walmart and got another and same thing. Took it back and went to Lowes and got this one. It is rated 15amps and works good.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_155671-8991...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

There are a few different types of timers so you know what your getting:
Dusk to dawn timer: Meant for lighting. Has an eye on it that turns on the timer. Only works from dusk till dawn. This could be your christmas light timer.
Vacation timer: Random periods of on/off and not very useful for what you want to do.
Regular timer: Some are rated 8 amps some are rated 15 amps. Mechanical or digital will work. Digital is alot more flexible and accurate. You need to check the amp rating on your pump and the amp rating on the timer and make sure the timer is rated more than your pump. 15 amp is the highest Ive seen in a plug in timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.