I just setup my 12' metal frame Intex pool last weekend. It's been great so far but I have a few questions.
1. I added some cyanuric acid (HTH stabilizer) on the weekend but when I do tests now I still get a reading of 0. Now I'm only using HTH 6 way test strips as I haven't found where to buy more accurate tests in Canada. Could the test strips be wrong? Or do you think I need to wait longer before the CYA shows up in the test?
2. At the moment I have to add chlorine every day. I bring it up to 3ppm each evening (as per my poor test strips). In the morning I did a test and it's still 3ppm. But by the evening it's dropped to 0ppm. Is this normal? Maybe it won't drop so quickly with CYA?
3. I will be away for 1 week in a few weeks. What do I need to do for the pool so it's not a mess on my return? I tried the trichlor pucks in a floater but it doesn't seem to dissolve at all or help my chlorine levels. I don't have a skimmer and I don't think there is anyway to feed the puck via the pump that came with my pool. If I shock the pool before I leave would that be sufficient to leave it for a week?
4. Do you have to cover the pool before leaving it unattended for a week? Would a solar cover work?
5. My local pool store sells 20L 13% liquid chlorine for $12.99. Would you agree that this is a reasonable price?