Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and CYA??

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and CYA??

So I am about to install my SWG (Aqua rite pro T-15). I added about 500 lbs of salt to my pool....
    Water is clear, and the chemistry appears right.

FC- 2.88
    TC- 2.93
    PH-7.9
    CYA- 49 (Stabilizer??)
    TA- 104
    Cal- 190
    Salt 3240 ppm

My question is that the CYA when using a SWG is supposed to be higher than when using chlorine (I think)...
    So should I try to get the CYA up to the 70-80, or will the SWG take care of that once it is up and running?
    If not how should I get it to increase....? I am assuming that CYA is stabilizer also...

Thanks
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and CYA??

How did your get those test results? They are clearly not from one of the Recommended Test Kits.

CYA = stabilizer = conditioner = cyanuric acid

The SWG will not raise it, you have to add it. BUT, I am not sure I would add it based on those test results which may be wildly off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Got the water tested at my local pool store..... They installed the pool when new....
    Why would the test results be wildly off??

Thanks
    26,700 gallons....

4. Back To Top    #4

You would be shocked how often pool store tests are wildly off. CYA is the most likely number to be way off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

How should I verify the values??
    26,700 gallons....

6. Back To Top    #6

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Which one should i get and where??
    26,700 gallons....

8. Back To Top    #8

As others mentioned get a kit and get familiar with it. Did you see how they performed the tests? Reason I ask is the ta being 104 strikes me as odd. Every pool store I used does a drop test that you then multiply by ten.
    I recently installed a a swg myself and was in your shoes. Use their numbers as a ballpark idea but trust your own results. My cya was 100 according to the pool store but when I did my own extended tests I ended with much higher and drained part of my pool before the install.

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, if you want to be told directly, order the TF-100 from tftestkits.net ... the SpeedStir is a great add-on as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool store used an automatic test that uses a computer..... not sure what type of test it was..... no strip or adding drops to the water at all...
    26,700 gallons....

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you know when it was last calibrated? Do you know if the user has been trained with the machine properly?
    If not, how can you believe anything it spits out? Digital testers always reminds me of this cartoon:

Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

When my time comes, I will need to be told too. I looked at it and scratched my head. I had No idea this process was so complicated!