Slightly cloudy?

May 30, 2013
Chattanooga TN
FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 60
CYA 45

The color is great but it's still slightly cloudy. I can see the outline of the deep end but no detail. The shallow end appears clear but obviously isn't quite. We backwashed on Friday and vacuumed yesterday but it's hard to know if there's anything else down there since I can't see well. The test results appear that it's ok to swim in but we have a birthday party on Wednesday and I'd like it to be clear. What am I missing?

You FC is at the very minimum for your CYA level ... did it every drop below 3ppm? See the FC/CYA Chart.

I would suggest you boost the FC up to shock level of 18ppm today and tonight and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure there is nothing in the water. Run the filter 24/7.

It is safe to swim at anything less than shock level. So even if you maintained the FC higher over Tuesday night, by Wed afternoon it would drop well below shock level for the party. It is usually a good idea to bump up the FC before a party anyway.

Just saw your signature. Are you using a SWG or not?

You FC is at the very minimum for your CYA level ... did it every drop below 3ppm? See the FC/CYA Chart.

I would suggest you boost the FC up to shock level of 18ppm today and tonight and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure there is nothing in the water. Run the filter 24/7.

It is safe to swim at anything less than shock level. So even if you maintained the FC higher over Tuesday night, by Wed afternoon it would drop well below shock level for the party. It is usually a good idea to bump up the FC before a party anyway.

Just saw your signature. Are you using a SWG or not?

No, the SWG is currently in pieces so we've been working on getting it straight without it. It's been a learning curve. I've gone through so much bleach lately it's insane. I think we tossed 8 gallon jugs just from last week. I'm hoping that tapers off once it's balanced?

Definitely get the FC up to Shock level and do the OCLT ... you are going to have to be very aggressive and diligent to ensure it cleans up (at least some) by Webnesday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.