Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE pressure not going up

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

DE pressure not going up

I'm a little concerned about the pressure on my Haywood DE filter. I've had the pool for 6 months now and have done several back washes. After backwash and adding new DE the starting pressure comes up to about 10 psi which is the low end of the markers on the gauge. The high marker is at 20 psi. I've been back-washing when the pressure got up around the 20 psi mark. However, the pressure is not longer rising after the last backwash. My last backwash was in April and the pressure is still sitting about 10 psi. Is this normal or does it indicate an issue? I see no bubbles in the pump basket window so I don't think air is getting in. The flow seems good as far as I can tell but I'm not sure how to measure it or what it should measure if I could. Might it be not enough DE?
    22k IG plaster pool, Haywood DE6020 Pro Grid DE filer
    Century Centurion 2 HP single speed with Challenger Pentair front housing replacement. Polaris 280 and Polaris PB4-60 pump. Stenner Injection
    Pool is probably 1980-1990 vintage. Concrete deck

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: DE pressure not going up

If the pool is clean and properly balanced, backwashes should be very, very few and far between.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: DE pressure not going up

First, ignore the markers. We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure (NOT waiting for a 10psi rise).

If you have a clean pool, there may not be anything for the filter to catch. You may only need to backwash a couple times per year.

The filter would clog up is you did not use enough DE and after a backwash the pressure would not drop back down. After a backwash you should use 80% of the normal full DE amount.

If the flow feel fine and normal, I would not worry about it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!