Sudden drop in filter pressure?

jimhokie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Yorktown, VA
I have a Hayward sand filter that typically operates in my system at about 17 psi. This has suddenly dropped to about 12 psi. The filter is 12 years old. The motor speed seems normal and the return flow to the pool feels normal, so I’m wondering if there could be a problem in the filter where flow is short-circuiting the sand bed, which would drop the pressure while not decreasing flow. (Broken tubes, bad valve gasket?) I figure if there was a problem with the pump not developing the normal pressure (motor running slower than normal, obstruction in the impeller, or a broken impeller), this would be apparent with lower flow than normal at the returns. I replaced the original motor with a 2-speed motor last spring. Although the speed sounds normal, it makes some additional cyclic noise, and has been occasionally since I installed it, but this doesn’t seem to affect the motor speed. Any thoughts on what my problem might be? I’d like to have an informed opinion before I start tearing into stuff to diagnose it. I’m going to buy a new pressure gage today to rule out a bad gage, but I don’t know that is a normal failure mode for a pressure gage.

The gauge would be my first step.

If the pressure went from 17 to 12 between closing and opening, then I'd suspect a filter problem. But if it was 17 for a few weeks and all the sudden dropped to 12 with nothing being done to the filter or plumbing, it almost can't be a problem internally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.