Use cold air exhaust from electric pool heater to cool house?

Aug 23, 2009
Spring Valley, NY
My electrician and also (separately) contractor suggested doing so, I recall seeing a post on it here.
Has anyone done it?
How do you suggest doing so? (my house doesn't have central air - just window units - well actually we had central air, but it died and we never fixed it - so the duct work is there.

thx

This is certainly possible, but requires fairly expensive semi-custom equipment and doesn't usually end up being a good deal financially. The main problem is that there is a fairly short season during which the house needs air conditioning and the pool needs heating. Plus the pool typically needs way way more heat than the house needs cooling.

Jason makes a really good point on timing. When the air is cool your pool needs warmed, when the air is hot the pool is already warm. So you would end up piping cool air in when it's not all that hot out, and nothing when it is.

Interesting idea for sure, but money is probably better put towards replacing your AC compressor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.