Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use cold air exhaust from electric pool heater to cool house?

1. Back To Top    #1

Use cold air exhaust from electric pool heater to cool house?

My electrician and also (separately) contractor suggested doing so, I recall seeing a post on it here.
    Has anyone done it?
    How do you suggest doing so? (my house doesn't have central air - just window units - well actually we had central air, but it died and we never fixed it - so the duct work is there.

thx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use cold air exhaust from electric pool heater to cool house?

This is certainly possible, but requires fairly expensive semi-custom equipment and doesn't usually end up being a good deal financially. The main problem is that there is a fairly short season during which the house needs air conditioning and the pool needs heating. Plus the pool typically needs way way more heat than the house needs cooling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Use cold air exhaust from electric pool heater to cool house?

Jason makes a really good point on timing. When the air is cool your pool needs warmed, when the air is hot the pool is already warm. So you would end up piping cool air in when it's not all that hot out, and nothing when it is.

Interesting idea for sure, but money is probably better put towards replacing your AC compressor.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits