Best way to heat 24' AG Pool Cover in day?

ddpool

Jul 20, 2008
Minnesota
I am new to this and just had a 24' AG Pool installed. I have a solar cover. Do I leave it on during a hot sunny day? Will this help heat the water? Also, how about putting black tubes under cover? Any suggestions on the BEST way to heat an above ground pool? Thanks.

This is a great forum! Thanks for the tip! It is a newer style Diamond blue on top and silver underneath. Their websites states it actually heats the water? But I hear so many different views. Does anyone have any tricks that they have used that actually heats the water. I am in Minnesota and need all the warm water I can get.

We had one, it defintely helps the water temp, we have a cheapy one now. In July, if we get a run of the hot days, 90 + if I left the cover on, the water would be too hot. Probably because the warm nights too, and the cover on traps all that heat....so if I leave the cover off for a night, it drops to a more comfortable 88. I keep my cover on during the day when the pool is not in use. Cuts down on chlorine loss to UV rays, and prevents evaporation.

ddpool said:
Any suggestions on the BEST way to heat an above ground pool? Thanks.

I'm going to have to say Solar is the way to go! I think it has the lowest cost for start-up, and it's FREE to run, except for the electric to run the pump. I got one panel from a pool store locally for $139.00 last summer, then this summer, got 2 more off eBay for $160.00 Shipped to my house. I have just over $400.00 invested in mine with $100.00 in plumbing/PVC. The plumbing cost so much because I moved the filter 25 ft from the pool and put the panels on the roof.

The three panels will raise my water temp. 8-10* on a full sunny day, running from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.. Also, I leave my solar cover on all the time except when we're in the pool. It makes a big difference at night, especially with cool nights. With it, I lose 2-3*, without, maybe 6-8* on a cool night.

I live in MN as well and use a solar heater and a solar blanket. I really don't think the solar blanket heats it very much, but it dose hold heat in at night. I've been holding a temp around 88 all summer.

I thought I would post my "cover on 1st part of day" method. We leave solar cover on till around 1pm and within 2 days I am now up to 85degrees and holding. So, at least with my solar cover (blue on top/silver bottom) if left on in the sun...your pool will heat up. I will keep you updated if things change...but for now....solar cover on when not using seems to be working and definately heats up the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.