Just a bit of debris

Jun 22, 2014
Raleigh
Hey guys I'm new here but ive been lurking for a while and learning.

I have a question about debris at the bottom of the pool. When I brush and vacuum it looks like algae. Fine clouds of greenish yellow. It's not bad, but we have had high temperatures here and the water is staying between 85-90 and in full sun all day. No trees. Is this algae? I've shocked the pool a couple times from higher volumes of people and use lately. My initial thought is it could be dirt and oil that the chlorine has killed off and it sank. Right now im brushing, vacuuming, and letting the filter run all day and back washing a few times a day to keep it clear. Any ideas are appreciated.

I have a basic test kit (looking to buy the T-100 when I get some extra cash.)
FC - 3
CC- 0 (or so it appears)
TA- 110 and holding
PH- 7.8 and holding

The pool is a 24' intex with a Hayward V series sand pump and filter combo.

Welcome to TFP!

You've been lurking, and you've come across our recommendations regarding test kit... We're pretty much flying blind without it... Take the time to read Pool School if you haven't already done so...
I'm not in a position to comment on whether or not it is algae...

Also, if you've been reading, you should know we don't recommend solid forms of chlorine... Stay away from "shock"... It's either dichlor, trichlor or cal-hypo... Dichlor/trichlor adds CYA and cal-hypo adds Calcium Hardness...

Do you know your CYA reading? Pool store CYA readings are pretty much meaningless... They're as good as drawing a number from a hat... Without a CYA reading, we can't really comment on your FC reading... Have a look at the Chlorine/CYA chart...

Ok thanks. I got a test kit and it's at 40 for cya. I've mainly been using bleach and use the shock seldom. I'll probably stop that as well. According to that calculator I'm looking at about five ppm to maintain right now. What else? My water is still a bit cloudy. My PH according to the Taylor test kit is at 8.

We recommend you use shock never... With your water cloudy, everyone here would recommend a SLAM... But you need an FAS-DPD chlorine test to SLAM...
I'd also advise you to dose muriatic acid to bring your pH down, you're more or less at the maximum number reported by the pH test, and anything higher just reports as the max...

Please add your pool details to your signature so we don't have to keep reading back... See this page for instructions on how to do that...

Ok thanks. I put in the muriatic acid. It must have been above 8 because according to my calculator it should have took a lot less to drop it to 7.4. Either way, it's fixed now.

My new readings are,

FC 10
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 110
CYA 40

So should I go ahead with the recommended slam or just keep brushing and adjusting accordingly?

A pic of your water would be very helpful. I am not sure there is a need to SLAM. How long has it been cloudy? Was it clear at one time? What are you using to determine when to backwash?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.