Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA at start up

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA at start up

Hello. We just got our pool set up and in reading through pool school I missed that the cya is supposed to be added by dissolving in a sock. Long story short we just poured it in all along the edge. Should I be vacuuming it back up and starting again or will it pretty much dissolve by morning?

Intex 12x30, 1475 gallon, San Jacinto, California.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding CYA at start up

Welcome to TFP!

At this point, you should vacuum it up into the filter and let it dissolve there. Leaving it were it is could damage the pool surface.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! My filter is not attached to my vacuum. I have just one of the ones that hooks to my water hose. I'll go ahead and vacuum it up and then should I just empty it out into the filter? It said in the instructions to put it into the skimmer and that's how we ended up just pouring it in, because we don't have a skimmer either.

4. Back To Top    #4

In that case, you can put it in a sock, or in the filter. Using a sock will probably be simpler.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just vacuum it up and then unhook the vacuum bag and tie it shut and hang it in front of the return stream to dissolve.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you @richard320. That's what I ended up doing last night. Thank you everyone else for your help.

7. Back To Top    #7

One last question: how often do I add cya? Just each time we add new water?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MelindaD View Post
    One last question: how often do I add cya? Just each time we add new water?

No.

CYA, like Calcium, doesn't evaporate. The water goes away, the CYA stays. So the only way it will drop noticeably is through draining and refilling or splashout. Once you get the level set, you only need to check it once a month or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!