Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Bid - how does it look?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Bid - how does it look?

We have received a bid from a pool builder we will most likely go with. I would appreciate it if some of you pool veterans could look at this and tell me if there are any glaring omissions or things we haven't thought of but should. The one thing that caught my eye at first glance was there was only one pool light. Is it worth it or necessary to add a second? Eager to hear your feedback on all!

Pool Shape: Custom
    Pool Perimeter: 109 LF
    Pool Area:615 Sq. Ft.
    Max Length 34 Feet
    Max Width 18.8 Feet
    Pool Minimum Depth 3 Feet
    Pool Maximum Depth 6 Feet
    Approximate Gallons 20,756 Gallons
    Spa 40 sq. ft. Raised 18 inches

Structural Specifications:
    Excavation: BOBCAT dig/ Home owner to determine access.
    Steel Schedule: 4 x 1/2" Box Beam, pool cage to be 3/8"x 10" O.C.B.W.
    Pool Structure: Beam to be a 12" box
    Pool walls minimum 6"
    Pool floors minimum 6"
    Coves minimum 8"
    Deck dowels to connect pool to decking

Equipment Specifications:
    Pool Filter 430 Cartridge with Spa
    Filter Pump 2.7 HP VS Pump
    Feature Pump 2 HP
    Pool Cleaner In Floor
    Sanitizer(s) Rainbow 320 Chlorinator and Ozone Joe Ozonator
    Heater Hayward 400.000 BTU Heater
    Pool Lights 1 Hayward LED Pool Light(s)
    Air Blower 1.5 HP Polaris QT Blower

Warranties
    Equipment 3 Year Warranty on Equipment
    Gunite Warranty Lifetime Structural Warranty
    Craftsmanship Warranty 1 Year Warranty on all pool workmanship

Mechanical Specifications:
    Skimmers 2 Hayward
    Pool Returns 4 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC
    Pool Main Drains 2 Anti Entrapment, VGB Compliant
    Spa Main Drains 2 Anti Entrapment, VGB Compliant
    Pool, Lights and Equipment to be wired persuant to current NEC code.
    Sub Panel Included No

Pool Coping, Decking and Drainage:
    Coping Material Natural Stone Travertine, Slate, Quartzite, Leuders

Waterline Tile Standard Ceramic
    Deck Size/ Material 1330 Sq.Ft. of Stamped Concrete (400 sq.ft.min)
    4" Drainage 75 LF
    Deck-O-Drain 0 LF
    Overflow Line Yes
    Fill Line Auto with Vacuum Breaker

Pool Interior
    Swimming Pool Interior: Wet Edge Pearl or Satin
    Prism for Spa only

Pool Controller
    Automation: PDA Prologic PS-8 - Pool Spa

Additional Items
    Raised Beams 16 ft of 12 inch raised beam and 15 ft of 18 inch raised beam with ledge stone facing
    Pool Entry: Tanning Ledge Per plan with dual bubblers

Benches: Per Plan

ETA: I just realized that our bp has a chlorinator listed when we want a SWG. Will update again once that is changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aprillh; 06-22-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Add picture
    21k gal IG, SWG, WetEdge Satin Matrix Antigua in pool, Primera Stone Tahoe Coast in spa, 430 sq ft cartridge filter, 2.7 HP variable speed pump, infloor cleaner

Our build:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...c-Houston-pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Bid - how does it look?

That looks nice.

I would skip the ozone system. They add very little value and is another thing that needs occasional maintenance.

In-floor cleaning has pros and cons. They use more electricity and tend to be expensive to maintain in the long run, on the other hand they are great at keeping the pool clean especially if you have a lot of blown in dust.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks great! without being rude, could I ask what this will cost? I really like that layout and I am going to show my wife. We are planning an in ground pool in the near future...(5 years maybe). How many jets are in your spa?
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason, thanks for your input. What's your feeling on the pool light? Is one adequate?

jimmerz, thanks for your compliment! We went through a lot of pool pictures on Houzz and here to basically end up with a rectangular pool, lol. The pool is going to be around $85k, verified with two different PBs quoting the same price. I dont know how many jets are in the spa. I guess that's a good question to ask my PB.
    21k gal IG, SWG, WetEdge Satin Matrix Antigua in pool, Primera Stone Tahoe Coast in spa, 430 sq ft cartridge filter, 2.7 HP variable speed pump, infloor cleaner

Our build:

5. Back To Top    #5

For a pool that size, I would put two lights in the pool and a third in the spa. However, it really depends on what kind of effect you are after. One light is more than enough to be able to see to swim. Having several lights is about esthetics.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't have a pool yet, but am having a 16x32 pool built and we have 3 led lights in the pool, one in the spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would go with least two lights

21.5K gallons... 65' x 9' Shotcrete Inground Lap Pool... 3'.5" to 6.5" Depth...9' by 7" Wet Deck... Hayward all the way... 2 L.E.D lights...Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue...And above all....LOVING IT!!!!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi April,
    the SWG is a good choice over the ozone thing and the inline chlorinator. You will really like the Saltwater set up.

One thing I noticed. The PB is not including an Electrical Sub Panel. How does he intend to power up the equipment? Is he leaving it up to you to hire an electrical contractor to install one?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Good question Dave. I noticed that as I was going through each line. I'm going to shoot him an email and find out.

Our build:

10. Back To Top    #10

Well you have all brought up great points, and my PB says he is impressed with my questions So, he knew we wanted a SWG, just a typo. We will have two lights in the pool and one in the spa. The spa will have 8 jets. Divin Dave, he said the controller has a built-in sub panel. We are tweaking the design of the pool slightly, making a complete rectangle and extending the bench all the way to the stairs.

Our build:

11. Back To Top    #11

More lights! Make sure they are the big "pool sized" ones in the pool, not a dinky "spa light" like I'm stuck with

Why two bottom returns in each side?

Yes to SWG and the big heater will be nice too.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

12. Back To Top    #12

Zimm, his bid states Hayward LED Pool Light(s) - I take that to mean it should be a real pool light? I think of LED lights being smaller anyway but hopefully enough to illuminate the pool. For returns, I see "Pool Returns 4 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC". Where does it say bottom returns? And should there be more/less?

Our build:

13. Back To Top    #13

Just make sure the Hayward LED's are the "pool" and not "spa" size in the main pool. My pool has a single spa sized light and I think if I go LED in it, it won't light the pool up enough.

I'm just curious why there are two main drains. I'm no expert on pool builds, but most pools seem to have 1.
    from your list: Pool Main Drains 2 Anti Entrapment, VGB Compliant
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmm, good question. I wonder if it is has something to do with the in-floor cleaning system? I don't think the size of the pool is so big it would require another (if that even factors in).

Our build:

15. Back To Top    #15

Recommend asking your PB to use Pentair Intellibright LED lights instead of Hayward. Several have reported those going out after five years or so.

16. Back To Top    #16

The reason to have two drains is so that a person doesn't get sucked down to one. That is what the anti entrapment means. If you have any drains, you should have 2.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

17. Back To Top    #17

Curious to who you went with?
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

18. Back To Top    #18

Still ironing out details with the front runner. Hope to make a decision in the next couple weeks.