Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC standing still without SWG ?

1. Back To Top    #1

FC standing still without SWG ?

So I opened my pool last week and was SLAMing it and adjusting other chemical levels. I had the SWG set to 0% production until FC drops back into normal level which was taking a few days, however, I used 23 drops last night to clear the pink and again 23 drops tonight. We had a full day of mostly sun, my pool is covered by solar cover but the attached hot tub is not. Is it possible the pool did not lose any FC without SWG production or possibly my drops are bad? I have new powder from last season. My salt reading was 4200 which is a bit high, can that be causing it? or can my CYA be so high that it can hold FC so well?
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC standing still without SWG ?

The cover is what's protecting it. You're probably losing FC, just so little that it's within the error of the test.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    The cover is what's protecting it. You're probably losing FC, just so little that it's within the error of the test.
    Yikes, I am afraid to think what my FC will jump too if I actually crank up the SWG then maybe I can keep it off for a while
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

4. Back To Top    #4

I use an automatic cover on my pool and my CL will not move for about 2 weeks with the SWG down to 5-10% or even off sometimes!
    I don't know how opaque solar covers are but I'm sure its similar in that its blocking the UV rays. As long as you're below your SLAM level for your CYA level, you're safe to swim.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain