New to Pools. Is this OK?

Jun 22, 2014
NY NEW York
We bought an Intex pool for our yard and put it up last week. We leveled the ground and put up up over the grass.

After 2 days we noticed it was sinking into the soil on one side and had a slight tilt to it, so we emptied the pool and I picked up some pavers from the local garden center and dug out the soil under each support pole so that the paver would fit right in and not be stcking out to rub against the liner. Then filled the pool back up.

Its been a few days now and we have been in it a few times and so far, its doing well. No sinking and the pool seems a lot more stable. we live in NY City area and plan to keep it up over the winter after winterizing it in the fall.

Is ther anything Im over looking hear? I hope I did this right. I dont expect to get more than 2 or 3 years out of it. If I do, ill be happy with it.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

Hi there and welcome to TFP... :) You've really done an excellent job... Its a perfect fit for your backyard....

It looks like the pool is not quite level.... I can tell by the lines on the liner.... The industry standard for a pool is 1", and by your photos, its looks to be a little more than that, its hard to tell.... Did you take the grass out from underneath the pool? How did you level your pavers....

Levelling your pool is the most time consuming and it sux more than any other job installing a pool, but its an extremely important part......

Now to keep the water crystal clear, you'll want to do a couple of things..... Read Pool School and keep reading.... This will teach you how to correctly balance your water chemistry.... And the only way you can test for that is with one of these.... This is the test kit the site recommends....

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

If you have any questions, there are hundreds of members that are here to help.... :)

Thanks Lacygirl,

Well, the pool is high on 2 sides by about an 1 1 /2. It was the best I could do because there were some trees in the back which were removed including stumps, but there are some roots going through the soil pushing th eground up on one side by about and inch or more. I did my best to level but sometimes its hard to see until the pool is filled with water.

Anyhow, it seems very sturdy now that is on pavers and does not seem to be moving or shifting at all. We had a few people in it the other day and it was holding up nice. however the pool shakes a little when kids are jumping around in it. I assume this is normal in an Intex pool or for any pool to flex a little when kids are jumping around in it.

My wife has this fetish for stuctural integrity. If something moves or shakes (even just a tiny bit) she thinks its unsafe. She now is thinking about having me take the pool down because she cant handle it if thessides move even a hair.

My neihbor has a professionally installed traditional above ground pool and his momves more than this Intex pool, yet they use it all the time and are not afraid of it. I guess Im going to have to work on my wife with this. Maybe I should have bought the ultra version. Is that one dramatically better?

Rob

Hi Rob... :) These pools are designed to flex when the water moves... Please set your wifes mind at ease and let her know, the pool is doing exactly what its supposed to do... I have a rectangle pool and they move a lot more than the round ones... :)

The only thing I would have recommended prior to installation is to remove the grass. People report that it smells terrible when it starts rotting under the pool. If it starts to smell you'll have to decide if you can stand it or if you want to drain and remove the grass from underneath.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.