changing from pristine products to chlorine

May 15, 2014
Athens, Ohio
just got 25000 gal inground pool opened. sand filter. vinyl. did a copper test-it was 0.05. pH 7.8. chlorine, bromine-3 6.
FC 2.0. CC 1.0. CH color wasn't red but lavender-100. TA 70. CYA less than 20-black dot never disappeared. please let me know what i need to add to be able to use pool. the sick green color looks uninviting. thanks

You want to raise the CYA level into the 30 to 40 range and lower the PH down to between 7.2 and 7.5.

Is the "green color" a clear transparent green or a cloudy/murky green? If cloudy/murky you will almost certainly want to SLAM the pool. If more on the clear transparent side you may need to use sequestrant.

i think the green color is transparent. in the shallow end i can see the bottom but in the deep end i can't see the bottom. how do i raise the CYA level and lower the pH? is the green transparent when i can't see the bottom in the deep end?

Your situation sounds like a borderline case, the green could be from algae or it could come from metals. The best thing is to wait on the green and see if it is still there when you can clearly see the bottom of the deep end. If it remains it is metals, if it goes away it is algae.

The most common way to lower PH is with muriatic acid, sold in hardware stores. CYA is raised with stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid, several names all for the same product. CYA is only sold in pool stores and the pool department of some big box stores. You can learn more about all of this in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.