Good afternoon TFP,
I’m a newbie here at TFP and have been scouring the forums for about a year…well, since last year when we gave up on our pool. I’ve been through all the forums and read Pool School, but I still have lots of questions. I am hoping someone here can help me with the answers I’m looking for.
First off, let me start off with the pool. We have a 14’ x 48” Intex Ultra Frame AGP (LINK). We currently have the basic setup (what the pool came with, in box). We have the cartridge pump/filter that came with the pool and we know that it is completely inefficient (and that is an understatement). We added an Intex Krystal Klear SWG (LINK), but that has worked pretty inefficiently as well. It keeps telling us low salt. Also, we added an Intex Hanging Wall Skimmer (LINK) and that was working great, but with a better pump/filter I know it could be a lot better.
Secondly, here’s what our experience with this pool has been over the past year. We live in San Antonio, TX. Our swim season can last up until November with the heat we experience. It usually doesn’t freeze, so I’d like to leave the pool up year-round. We installed the pool in June 2013. The previous years we had an Intex AGP with an inflatable ring-top (LINK). So, our experience with above-ground pools is limited. We’ve struggled with getting chemicals balanced and maintaining a crystal clear pool. We’ve been to Leslie’s Pools, had our water tested, and done whatever they’ve suggested to get the pool back and it has worked, but we always end up in the same boat. We consistently have mosquito larvae in our pool, it gets cloudy, and then green-ish. It’s so frustrating. I just want to be able to swim in our pool. Last year, we drained the pool and refilled it mid-season. I don’t want to do that again. Our backyard is full of oak trees and we also struggle with keeping the leaves out, especially through the fall and winter. I’m working on coming up with something to prevent the leaves from dropping into the pool, but will take some suggestions.
Lastly, here’s my list of questions. I hope that maybe some of you have had the same experiences and can suggest what we should do.
1. What type of pump/filter should we get for this size pool (approx. 4,000 gallons)? I know that can depend on a lot of factors? We would like to get a sand filter (possibly add DE) and run an automatic vacuum or pool cleaner that is hooked up to the filter. We are looking at several different pumps and filters:
• Sand Master 71225 Above Ground Swimming Pool 13" Sand Filter with Pump for Intex
• Intex Sand Filter Pump 2900 Gallons
• Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Systems with Pumps
• Above Ground 4500gph 19" Sand Filter with 1.5hp Swimming Pool Pump System
2. We’d like to cut a hole in the wall to install a through-wall skimmer. Which skimmer is the best for this? And, do you have any suggestions on this process? I’ve read the forums on these installs, but just looking for more suggestions.
• Is this the appropriate skimmer? – Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit
3. We’d also like to possibly hard-plumb it this year to make it look more presentable and more permanent. Also, I would like to make sure we do this correctly.
I think that’s it for now, but any other suggestions, comments, or whatever is greatly appreciated. I know there is a lot of expertise found on this forum, but I’ve been struggling to put it all together.
Thank you in advance,