New Pool Build

May I ask what kind of finish is on your poured in place concrete coping? I like how clean and simple it is. My pool builder is recommending a slate stamped finish, but I am thinking it may be too rustic or heavy for a contemporary pool look that I am going for.

Thank you. It's a smooth finish on the concrete, if that's the right term. I loved this look because of how clean it looks. What made the biggest difference to me was that the edge be square and not bullnose. The square coping looked so much cleaner and more crisp to me. I also specifically requested more score lines.

Good luck!

From the pic you posted, I like the reddish tiles (second sample from right). I feel like they pick up more of the color of the stone than the other choices. But, that would contrast with the coping and "chair rail" rather than blend with it.

From the pic you posted, I like the reddish tiles (second sample from right). I feel like they pick up more of the color of the stone than the other choices. But, that would contrast with the coping and "chair rail" rather than blend with it.

Thank you. I think that's what I decided on. I tried the National Pool Tile Aztec tile in Barley, but that makes the coping look too yellow when it's right next to coping. It looks fine when it's separated from the coping by the stone. I didn't want the eyes to be drawn to the tile, because I want the eyes to the stone instead, so I initially thought light, obscure, bland. But bland stands out!

image_zpsb5641f33.jpg

image_zps9d6ec57f.jpg

Still picking tile....

Where is the tile going? Below the stone or between the coping and stone? It's good you are considering the tile out in the sun in the pool area. The sunlight affects the color.

Also, waterline tile will be partially underwater so the amount seen can be quite small.

Where is the tile going? Below the stone or between the coping and stone? It's good you are considering the tile out in the sun in the pool area. The sunlight affects the color.

Also, waterline tile will be partially underwater so the amount seen can be quite small.

This his is waterline tile, so it goes right under the stone. There is wood under the stone right now that will be taken out (it was there to set the stone). So it will be right under the stone and right under coping where there is no stone. I can't choose!

Not much has gone on this past week. The walls have been partially built. In the next few days the decking is supposed to be laid out so I can figure out how much pavers I need. I have decided, after bringing home samples of the Belgard Catalina Slate in Montecito that the Montecito color really looks gross with my pool. I am now trying to decide on Bella or Toscana color blend- they are darker. I think the darker will make the stone on the raised bond beam & spa really pop.

Here are some pictures of what's going on:

Part of equip wall finished. will be color coated to match house
1101_zps19c4e3f7.jpg

Equip wall again, side of house. Dead cherry tree :(

1111_zpsea391d66.jpg

Getting ready for retaining wall:

991_zps213ba2a5.jpg

Retaining wall finished off. Whole thing will be color coated.

1109_zps1cf537be.jpg

These are Belgard Bergerac, but the only sample board I took a picture of :/ Bella is middle right hand side. Toscana is upper left hand side:

image_zpse3259afd.jpg

I called the gas company about getting a larger meter installed- that is set for this week as well.

Ok, yes, I get it! I finally realized it was wood for setting the stone and not a "chair rail"... :oops:

I think the stone is amazing and will definitely be the first thing noticed. I would try to match the colors in the tile to the stone as much as possible so that the tiles "blend" into the stonework. It will look great.

The pavers are interesting. I've not seen them before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, yes, I get it! I finally realized it was wood for setting the stone and not a "chair rail"... :oops:

I think the stone is amazing and will definitely be the first thing noticed. I would try to match the colors in the tile to the stone as much as possible so that the tiles "blend" into the stonework. It will look great.

The pavers are interesting. I've not seen them before.

Thank you. Here's a picture of the Belgard Catalina Slate pavers: http://westernpavers.com/belgard-catalina-slate-gallery-pavers-san-diego.html I'm trying to decide between Bella & Toscana.

The darker tile blends well with the stone, the lighter one blends w/ coping. I have ordered samples from Classic Pool Tile. I have about a week or more until it will be time for tile then plaster. Pavers can come first & paver guys are on another job and should be finished later this week.

Thank you.

Nothing happened at all on my build this week. The subs that need to be working on my job are busy finishing up a job ahead of me. Suddenly the heat is here, so I'm getting more anxious.

In this week I think I chose a tile, the reddish one in the pic above. And when going to choose a color for the Belgard pavers, I found some Orco pavers (Orco Pietra) that I think I like even more than the Belgard Catalina Slate pavers. Just trying to decide between Orcotta and Tuscany blends. I should be ordering next week so eventually I will have to make up my mind.

Bad news is that the pool builder told me the bobcat would likely have to return for the paver prep (I had just gotten sprinklers in order from the last time it tore through here for the demo/dig). I'm hoping this isn't the case.

That poor dog looks so lost in part of that back yard! I bet he can't wait to be lounging by the pool. Does he/she like water?

That poor dog looks so lost in part of that back yard! I bet he can't wait to be lounging by the pool. Does he/she like water?

The dog is lost! He was especially out of it when there were trenches all over. He will step inside a pool for a few minutes to get a drink (drinks sw too even when fresh water is in his bowl) and I suspect he cools off a bit. Haven't seen him go swim though.

- - - Updated - - -

Pietra_Orcotta_Sandstone_zpsbe680b7d.jpg

I'm not sure this is the color I'm going with as the yard didn't have Orcotta and sandstone available. I was originally going to get Tuscany blend, and perhaps mix it with sandstone, but after seeing quite a few pics of Orco Orcotta and Sandstone blend, I'm interested.

Decking is going in now. PB is going out of town for a few weeks. Supposedly we have the next steps in line- tile, electrical, put fences back up, clean up.... I was hoping the pool would be finished in the next two weeks since we are very close. Just tile, electrical & plaster after the decking.

We have messed around a bit with determining deck lay out and I've been surprised with all that's involved with paver preparation. Should have picture updates soon.

I like the look of those pavers! Sounds like you are getting close to the end!

Thank you! THe pavers look great. The picture I showed earlier was of Orco Pietra in Orcotta and Sandstone blends. I just did Tuscany blend, but am happy with the results. Tile is going on today.

Pavers wet (not sure if I will seal them, I think I like them dry better, but perhaps a matte finish would look best):

392_zps1e01910b.jpg

394_zps63f28bbf.jpg

They did great cuts. Props to the paver guys. Beautiful work.

395_zpsd96d956f.jpg

Oh wow!! How nice! You've inspired me to go home and work on our landscaping! FWIW, I like the color of the pavers...it makes the coping pop and highlights the color of the stone work. Great job! I bet it's been fun to watch it all come together!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.