Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build

I have had better luck posting to a blog, but would like to share my process with this forum as I've found this group to be very helpful.

Be patient with me as I post, please.

I purchased my house less than a year ago and the backyard was a complete disaster. Here are some before pics:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps5a11a07e.jpg

Once I got the backyard cleared a bit, it still looked like a total mess:

It sat for a few months while I decided what to do- try to work with what I had, try to do an owner-builder pool, or hire someone. I finally decided to hire a contractor who came highly recommended to me. I signed the contract the end of May & digging started before June.

Dig:

Mess in the front yard:
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps65d0bf1b.jpg

Steel:

Figured spa seats would be reinforced.

Plumbing:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build

Gunite:

shaping the spa seats:

I fretted over the reef water depth. Never been in a pool with a reef, so it was all new to me. PB took me to several gunited pools w/ reefs. 6" looked too shallow, and 18" looked to deep. I settled on 8-10" of water depth. Before I knew it, the pool was wired for an LED light in the reef and PB said we had to be at at least 12" water depth, so that's where it is.

Forming for coping:

Little walls built off of raised bond beam to complete the planter:

Coping poured- color "maize"- was worried when I saw it- looked like baby poop. It has since settled.

Trying to pick stone. I was worried it would clash- coping looked yellow and stone too red:

Stone going on, Mt. Moriah stacked stone. Had to pay more, PB said this wasn't included in contract price, although contract did not specify type of stacked stone for the raised bond beam/spa. Oh well. Cost about 1100 more.

Five days after coping is poured, I see this, first major disappointment in this process (besides my front yard, sprinklers and drains being TOTALLY screwed up and not fixed):
    [
    and another less noticeable crack somewhere else:

another picture of the largest, most noticeable crack. Weird that the color is off there too- something is wrong.

The worst crack is right up front, next to tiles lying on the coping, right by step going into the pool. Of course the part of coping I'll see most frequently. Needs to be fixed.

3. Back To Top    #3

New Pool Build, So Ca, inground, Photos

Sorry the pictures are so large

4. Back To Top    #4

I like the colors you have chosen. The stacked stone will look nice with that coping color. I also like that planter!
    Good luck with the crack. I hope it is the only one you have to deal with!
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

5. Back To Top    #5

Your making great progress

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. Choosing colors has been a task! Especially when I don't get to see samples in real life. Picking color for concrete from a 1x1 square on a pamphlet was a task! It has toned down as it dries. I'll have to take & upload equipment pictures as well!

7. Back To Top    #7

glad you decided to document here for all to see! I wouldn't sweat the crack...not a sign of bad workmanship, sometimes concrete does what it does. you said they mixed the crete on site? did they do the pour all in one day or was it spread out over several. sometimes it's difficult to get the mix consistent when they mix onsite like that, one guy works the mixer in the morning, break for lunch and then the second guy is putting in 5% more sand, 10% less gravel....you get the picture.

awesome looking pool BTW!
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

They did pour on all one day. I know concrete cracks, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. I just wonder what it'll look like in a year. Had I known I would be so bothered by it, I would have looked more into other coping options. I like the look of square edge cantilever coping- so clean.

Now for decking choices- I am at a total loss.... I'm thinking pavers since I'm a concrete hater Just don't know if I should go with concrete pavers or stone, and whether I should try to negotiate decking out of the PB contract and sub it out myself (to save money and have a bit more control). Hmmm.... Almost finished with the tough choices, then it will be work trying to get the rest of the yard into shape to match the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Did they run rebar or mesh in that coping before they poured it?
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

10. Back To Top    #10

Suggest you look at travertine pavers. We put in over 3,000 sq. ft.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jjwalker View Post
    Did they run rebar or mesh in that coping before they poured it?
    I don't think they did. There was some black paper that was on the bottom, I don't think it could have been mesh? I looked through my pics and don't see rebarb or mesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martinkennedy View Post
    Suggest you look at travertine pavers. We put in over 3,000 sq. ft.
    How much did you pay per sqft for pavers? I have sand washed colored concrete in the contract now. I am not prepared at this time to spend 14k on the decking, but travertine is soo beautiful. Just stumbled upon Belgard Bergerac pavers in Montecito color and they look beautiful. http://www.gopavers.com/wp-content/u...1/img_1020.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

I paid $10.00 a sq. ft. installed for the travertine. The belgard pavers were $9.00 a sq. ft. installed

13. Back To Top    #13

Did you get the pavers through your PB or on your own? I'm just wondering the cost of pavers themselves. I think I could install them myself and would be willing to if the savings were 5k+.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinkennedy View Post
    I paid $10.00 a sq. ft. installed for the travertine. The belgard pavers were $9.00 a sq. ft. installed

14. Back To Top    #14

Recent progress:

Five sections of coping were removed and repoured to fix cracks.

Trying to pick deck:

Love the Montecito color of the Belgard pavers. Are there other pavers that are less expensive? The difference between the cheapest pavers and all others is about 2-3 per square foot. I'm going to have about 1200 sq ft laid. PB wants 5.75 for labor.
    Cheapest of Belgard pavers, Catalina:

On internet pics I've found of installed jobs these look nice. Wondering if it's worth an extra 3-4k for nicer pavers.

15. Back To Top    #15

The PB got the pavers so I don't know the exact cost of them. Both of your choices look good

16. Back To Top    #16

Glad they are fixing that coping for you. I love that yard, quite good sized for a lot of places in Southern California. it's going to be SO nice when the pool is in!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by daytimedrama View Post
    Glad they are fixing that coping for you. I love that yard, quite good sized for a lot of places in Southern California. it's going to be SO nice when the pool is in!

Thank you! I think it's the perfect sized yard for my needs. Shouldn't be a lot
    of upkeep once I get it all situated.

18. Back To Top    #18

Picking out tile. I originally wanted tile to be fairly light- to not draw attention, but blend. I was thinking lighter rather than darker, but now I don't know. Any thoughts?

19. Back To Top    #19

Pleased with how the newly poured coping is matching the rest.

20. Back To Top    #20

May I ask what kind of finish is on your poured in place concrete coping? I like how clean and simple it is. My pool builder is recommending a slate stamped finish, but I am thinking it may be too rustic or heavy for a contemporary pool look that I am going for.
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast