Put a deposit on a AG pool package" .... Need advice... CLUELESS!!!

Jun 17, 2014
Chicago, Il
Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I just put a deposit down on a pool. We have shopped 3 different pool retailers in Chicago and have literally been told 3 different things. We are so confused and are now questioning our original plan. Here is what we have on hold (forgive me if I'm forgetting something or don't have the terminology down)

Pool: Wilbar Quest 15 ft 54in Stainless Steel Side Panel
Filter:Hayward SwimPro 110 (debating on upgrading to the 150 for $20.00 more)
Pump: Hayward Swim Pro 2Hp 2Spd (Great Escape recommended this... I've read it's overkill to have 2HP. We figured we'd run it on low majority of the time.)
Sanitizing System: Nature2 Vision Pro Vessel Water Sanitizer (I know nothing about this!)

I'm hoping for some advice on Filter, Pump and Sanitizer. I grew up with an 18ft pool, sand filter and no sanitizing machines, so this is all new to me and not to mention the last time I had a pool was 20 years ago!
Side note: the 2Hp 2Spd uses 3 volts on low and 13 on high....

Also, the "package price" comes with cleaning accessories (net,vacuum, etc) as well as basic chemical start up... Anything I should add?

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give me! It is much appreciated!

Hi Nina,

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the upcoming festivities of Tying the Knot!

I and all the other folks on the forum would urge you NOT to use the Nature2 sanitizer. Although the marketing material is appealing, it doesnt work well and induces copper and other metals into the pool which will turn hair green and can cause ugly staining of the liner. It's a bit of a nightmare to reverse the staining and getting rid of the copper. And its not a matter of IF, but WHEN. (At the top right of this page, there is a search box. You can enter Copper Sanitizers, Nature2 etc into the box to find more specific info).

I would suggest replacing the Nature 2 with a saltwater chlorine generater for sanitizing your pool if your budget can swing it.

If you can upgrade the filter for only 20$ more, do it.

The 2 HP pump is definitely overkill that you dont need to pay exta for. You can easily get by with a 1 HP. The 2 speed feature is available on many many pumps, and is an excellent energy saving feature that you definitely want to have.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck on your new pool!

Hi there and welcome.... :)

I'd ditch the Nature 2 system... You don't need it.... You also need to get yourself a decent test kit... The best kit is the one this site recommends and you can get it here at this link...

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

You also need to start reading Pool School.... This will teach you how to balance and manage your water without the need of a pool store.... You can ask as many questions as you like, there are heaps of people here with tonnes of experience to guide you thru this...... :)

You are right to go with a two speed pump and run it on low.... Upgrade the filter also.... Biggest filter you can get, with a modest pump..... :)

Overall you're looking good... :)

Re: Put a deposit on a AG pool package" .... Need advice... CLUELESS!!!

Thanks Dave!! I appreciate your reply! This is so helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

For clarification, it uses 3 amps on low and 13 amps on high. This is pretty common for 2 speed motors. Again, as stated earlier, way too much pump for such a small pool

Thanks for the correction! Trying to get this down! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

So, I called and ditching the Nature 2 won't bring down the cost of my package. It's free. I'm wondering of packaging even makes sense. The package includes the pool, filter and pump I wrote about as well as the nature 2, solar cover, maintenance kit, chemical starter, manual vac and cleaning accessories, free installation, but I'm responsible for sand, block and plastic. (Don't know if the upgrade to foam is worth the extra 300.00... Opinions?) i also have the option to do just foam coves with sand bottom for 100.00. So many options!!!! I never realized how many decisions I'd have to make in getting a pool. :scratch:

Re: Put a deposit on a AG pool package" .... Need advice... CLUELESS!!!

Hi Nina,
there are a LOT of decisions to make.

A pool is a long term investment and should be given a great deal of thought. If not, it can end up being a problem and costing a lot more money bring it to an enjoyable level.

I suggest to step back from the folks you are dealing with now and perhaps do some more shopping around. What makes me say this is becouse of the guys comment about the Nature 2 being free. News Flash. Nothing is free in the pool buisiness!

I bet you would do very well going into the pool place and TELLING them what you want instead of them telling you what they will give you. There are indeed TONS of options, but at the end of the day, its really not that hard to understand the difference between the frills and what you actually need on a pool.

:)

I agree with Divin Dave. You should probably hold a moment, search around the forum for above ground pool builds to see what equipment people are buying, and then search around the internet for prices. I believe that you will find that some of the things the store is selling you are not needed or you can get better/cheaper by buying it yourself. IF the Nature 2 System is Free, then tell them you will take it. You can sell it on eBay or Craigslist. You could also buy your pool online (everyone gets them from the manufacturers - nothing special there) and then, ask the pool store what the cost to install it would be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.