Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 and Pool store test don't agree?!?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 and Pool store test don't agree?!?

I have been testing the water about a month now and was going into the Pool store to buy more conditioner to bring up the CYA and decided to take a sample for them to test. Now I don't know what to think?? They talked me out of buying more conditioner. Any thoughts? Thanks

My results with TF-100:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    Ph 7.5
    CH 275
    TA 70
    CYA 25
    Salt 3500

Their results:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    Ph 7.8
    CH 230
    TA 130 *
    CYA 60 *
    Salt 2900 *

* denotes significant differences IMHO
    Note: 2 gallons of liquid Instant Water Conditioner have been added since plaster.
    IG gunite Edmond, OK(OKC), 18x36 freeform ~20K, 4-8' deep, Pentair equip, (2) 3hp VS+ pump, 520 cart filter, 3 LED, Easytouch8, ItellichlorIC40 SWG, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Spa 8'x18"raised, 20' raised bond beam 2 sheers, Stonescape Tahoe Blue quartz plaster, TF-100 kit.
    Feb. 25, 2014 dig started, May 24, 2014 filled.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 and Pool store test don't agree?!?

From looking at other threads, I will answer my own question!!! lol

One can believe the TF-100 or the pool store, only you can decide!!
    IG gunite Edmond, OK(OKC), 18x36 freeform ~20K, 4-8' deep, Pentair equip, (2) 3hp VS+ pump, 520 cart filter, 3 LED, Easytouch8, ItellichlorIC40 SWG, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Spa 8'x18"raised, 20' raised bond beam 2 sheers, Stonescape Tahoe Blue quartz plaster, TF-100 kit.
    Feb. 25, 2014 dig started, May 24, 2014 filled.

3. Back To Top    #3

My impression is that if you have the same water tested by multiple pool owners with TF-100/K-2006 kits they will tend to get relatively similar results, but if you do the same with multiple pool stores you will typically see much less similarity. Given that, going with the TF-100 results seems like a good choice.

This is obviously totally unfair to the occasional pool store that always has experienced people using accurate tests in a consistent manner, but those seem to be much more of an exception than you might initially think.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!