When to build?

Lizbethmcq

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Parkesburg PA
So our pool construction has been delayed due to the need to get a zoning variance - ugh! No idea of when the project can get started, waiting for the zoning hearing to be scheduled. Assuming we get approval for the variance, at what point is it too late in the season to build? We live in Pennsylvania where sometimes the summer (or Indian summer) can last until late September. We are planning a fiberglass pool if that makes any difference. Are there any pros/cons to building this late summer/early fall and closing right away? Or would it be better to wait until the spring? I know the pool company is going to want to do it right away as the pool shell is sitting in their warehouse and they had to spend extra money for an engineered plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Texas so things are probably significantly different up there in PA, but we started our build here in early December.
Pros: the yard was a mess during a time of year we wouldn't be using it as much, anyway
Pool was ready (mostly) for the start of swim season
I will get an entire season out of it before any winterizing issues

Cons: Construction was perpetually delayed by weather (rain and cold) and holidays. We went approx 6-7 weeks without a single worker on the property and a gunite shell surrounded by mud in the yard.
Gunite curing can be an issue that far north in the winter, but you should be ok with fiberglass as far as I know
Grass around the pool was VERY susceptible to destruction while it was dormant in the winter, and we lost at least 10 pallets of grass.

Hopefully that helps a little. Maybe someone with more experience from up north can chime in.

Thanks Ryno98. I would think PA would be different than TX ;)

I would hope it will be completed before the cold and messy weather. I'm more concerned about equipment being installed then just sitting without being used for months.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.