Reconnecting 2nd return

Jun 20, 2014
Elmira, NY
And here's yet another question from a new and confused pool owner.

We just opened our pool for the first time this year (bought the house last year). It had been closed for about 4-5 years the neighbor thinks. Whoever "winterized" it, and I use that term loosely, cut the hoses leaded to the pump and from the filter. There were originally 2 return hoses. The pool guy we paid to open the pool said you really only need one, but having read a great deal over the past couple of weeks, I get the feeling that if the deep end return were hooked up, it would vastly improve overall circulation and we would not have little algae issues in the deep end. Right now, little lumps of it are forming regularly--I think it's green, although it looks brownish. The water itself is crystal clear and chlorine and pH levels are in the ideal range. (We didn't buy an elaborate kit, because we didn't know. We are using 3" tablets in a floater, because that's what the pool guy said to do. Live and learn.)

Anyhoo, we believe that to reconnect this return, we would attach a pvc t-connection, then run a hose from each side. Is this correct? Fingers crossed the pictures worked, so you can see what we're dealing with.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 69
  • hoses.jpg
    hoses.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 69
Get rid of the kinked hose for one. You should be able to hard plumb it all or switch from the flex to hard PVC and either simply add a PVC tee fitting or maybe better add a pool 3-way valve like the Neverlube.

Thank you all. I've started a Photobucket page with pictures of all the working parts. I'm new to Photobucket as of 10 minutes ago, so I haven't figured out how to put captions, but hopefully you can figure out everything. I've tried to put things in logical order.

http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/shannonr3/library/

Our plan is to just redo all of the stuff that's above ground hose-wise. I don't know how we could replace those ugly black hoses with PVC, but if someone has a plan, please do tell me. The set up is I don't know how old. Obviously the kinked hose is not ideal and will be coming out. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Edit: Figured out captions :)
Info in signature is correct and I've just added more details

And I woke up this morning to find the pool drained below the skimmer and the hose to the filter had popped off for the third time! No matter how much we tighten it, it blows off.

So, I think we need to go all PVC down to those black underground hoses

Argh!

Hi dagny,

This is my first post but I felt compelled to contribute since I just helped my neighbor get through this frustration. Basically what you need to convert the black poly to hard sch 40 pvc is this: "460-015 1.5 barb by 1.5 spigot WHITE" from this website http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=Barb-Adapters-Slip-Spigot. I took a guess at what size the poly pipe was so you'll have to measure to make sure. A plumbing shop will probably carry these fittings but home depot and menards by me do not.

You'll remove the current fittings from the black Poly. Clean it all up nice, make sure the cut is square for a good fit. Slip 2 pipe clamps on each black pipe. Then use a propane torch to carefully heat the pipe, not to the point of melting, but softer so that the barbed fitting fits in easier and so that you can get the clamps nice and tight. Once tightened, you can use standard sch 40 PVC with solvent primer and glue. Once you have the pipe converted, you could bury the whole thing so you don't even see the black pipe anymore and then use a PVC elbow to bring the hard PVC out of the ground.

How you connect the returns together is up to you. A Tee fitting will work but a Jandy 3 way valve would be ideal so you can send all of the water to one return if ever necessary. Replumbing the rest of the setup is as easy as removing the old stuff and putting in hard PVC. You'll need new fittings into and out of the pump and into and out of the filter since those fittings are barbed and you'll need PVC slip fittings for use with PVC solvent. You could take it apart, run to the store with the old fittings to make sure the threaded ends for the pump in filter are the correct size for your application.

You may want to pressure test that second return prior to reconnecting it just in case....

Good Luck! This way worked for me. I'm sure there are others!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.