Air Leak???

Jul 29, 2010
Are there any tip or tricks to finding an air leak? Every morning I have to go out and bled the air out of the system after it sits all night not running. When it is running the water in the basket and coming out of the jets in the pool is crystal clear, No signs of any air. But after the pump sits turned off over night the water in the basket drops down an inch or two. Some times more than others, Last night it only dropped about a ½". It is a Hayward North star 2hp pump and I rebuilt it about 6 weeks ago. This problem just started after I vacuumed the pool last week. There are no visible signs of water anywhere. Any help would be great. Thanks

It could be since you're not getting any air in the pump basket.
Have you lubed the basket o-ring and resealed the drain plug?

It could be the air release valve on the filter letting in air when the pump isn't running.

Do you have a valve on the discharge of the pump or on the return line? If so, close it tonight and see if the water has dropped in the morning. If it has the leak is before the valve. Also valve handle seals can leak and cause the issue you're seeing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.