algae after three days no swimming

Aug 3, 2012
louisville ky
IMAG0878.jpgATTACH]

I am having issue that i slam pool , do the check overnight test and show no loss of fc over 1 ppm, and then allow pool to come back down to 5-7 cl. then if no one swims in pool for four or five days i get some surface algae in the corners and some on side walls. What am i missing.

Attachments

• IMAG0876.jpg
    IMAG0876.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 78
If swimming makes a difference then maybe there's a circulation issue ? Is there any kind of obvious relationship between the location of the return jets and the spots you get algae, ie is it possible you're getting algae in the places where you aren't getting circulation ?

EDIT -- just noticed your equipment list, at first glance it seems that 2 skimmers 3 returns and 2 floor drains *have* to be enough ;)

What is your CYA level ? Just checking that 5-7 ppm FC is correct.

thanks for the help, no trees around pool closest ones are 75 ft away. on the cya it is around 65-70. ph usually stays around 7.2- 7.5. i use the t-100 test kit. I think that is what it is called it is the kits that everyone here recommends. it does want to start in the corners that seems to get most shade in afternoon as sun sets behind house. this last time we went on vacation for 7 days and i put solar cover on it to help keep water from evaporating when i came back had it in several spots mostly still in areas that got some shade during day(shadow from diving board, slide, etc) and the corners. it had started to spread to more spots. once i brush walls and floors it comes off with no problem. i use an automatic cleaner and it will pick up most of it . I thought maybe cleaner was spreading it so last time i shocked pool i left cleaner in pool to make sure it got all algae. My overnight test came back good and then once we go 3-4 days with no one swimming it will just start in corners . Not alot but enough you can notice it. If my chlorine levels are good how can it keep coming back??? I have tried raising levels to 9-10 and it seem to help a little..... What would be highest chlorine level that i could run pool at with out any issue with swimmers or equipment????

For a CYA of 70 you should be maintaining the chlorine at 7-8 with 5 being a minimum. SLAM level would be 24-28 and it's usually accepted you can safely swim up to the SLAM level.

Did you scrub the ladder (bottom of steps) and if you have lights did you pull them and check behind them ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.