Need New Leaf Rake - couple questions :)

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
I need a new one and wondered have a couple questions:

My old leaf rake had one of those rubber squeegees on the front, to make it easier to scoop stuff up off the bottom (it as a Poolmaster 21182). The net has holes now and the net is not replaceable.

I'm thinking about the Purity Pools Red Baron leaf rake. For anyone who has one, how well does the Red Baron work since it doesn't have the squeegee?

I see they have a Tuff Duty bag and a Rag Bag. I can't decide which to get. If you have a Red Baron, which one do you have? I'm just wondering if stuff gets trapped in between the double netting on the Rag Bag, and also wondering which would be more durable. With my old leaf rake, the net was quit stiff so I would just turn it inside out to empty.

I've also been looking at the Skimlite Durapro SS16, but can't find any reviews on it.

While the customer service @ Purity is pretty inadequate, the Red Baron is a pretty solid product. Mine is now 4 years old and looks 2 weeks old. In short, I would surely purchase it again and virtually everything is replaceable. I have the Rag Bag.

While the customer service @ Purity is pretty inadequate, the Red Baron is a pretty solid product. Mine is now 4 years old and looks 2 weeks old. In short, I would surely purchase it again and virtually everything is replaceable. I have the Rag Bag.

Thanks, Dave, I really appreciate it! I just ordered the Red Baron but got the Rag Bag (had previously thought we'd ordered the Tuff Duty bag, but husband says it's the Rag Bag one). Looking forward to receiving it.

I got a Stingray (from Leslies) that I think is similar to the red baron ... it has the replaceable collar and net. I seem to need a new collar every year from rubbing on my pebbleshean, but the original net is fine.

Oops, just saw you already ordered.

I got a Stingray (from Leslies) that I think is similar to the red baron ... it has the replaceable collar and net. I seem to need a new collar every year from rubbing on my pebbleshean, but the original net is fine.

Oops, just saw you already ordered.

Thanks, Jason :) Hopefully my vinyl liner won't wear on the net of the one I'm getting. (I didn't know what pebbleshean was, so I googled it. I bet your pool is really nice!

Got my Red Baron leaf rake today :) Only had a couple leaves in the pool, but I can tell it's going to be a great leaf rake. Glad I got the Rag Bag one and it was pretty easy to empty. My only critique is the handle is plastic so not sure how long that will last. But other than that, I really like it. Thanks for the recommendation, Dave!

You mean the part that attaches to the pole is plastic? Or the pole you got is plastic?

The stingray I got is all metal with the plastic cuff.

The handle that attaches to the leaf rake frame and goes inside your pole is plastic, but on further discovery, it has metal underneath the plastic. I like the design but think they should have made the handle all aluminum. Now I'm just waiting for the leaves and bugs to build up so I can give it a proper workout :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.