Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need New Leaf Rake - couple questions :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Need New Leaf Rake - couple questions :)

I need a new one and wondered have a couple questions:

My old leaf rake had one of those rubber squeegees on the front, to make it easier to scoop stuff up off the bottom (it as a Poolmaster 21182). The net has holes now and the net is not replaceable.

I'm thinking about the Purity Pools Red Baron leaf rake. For anyone who has one, how well does the Red Baron work since it doesn't have the squeegee?

I see they have a Tuff Duty bag and a Rag Bag. I can't decide which to get. If you have a Red Baron, which one do you have? I'm just wondering if stuff gets trapped in between the double netting on the Rag Bag, and also wondering which would be more durable. With my old leaf rake, the net was quit stiff so I would just turn it inside out to empty.

I've also been looking at the Skimlite Durapro SS16, but can't find any reviews on it.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Need New Leaf Rake - couple questions :)

While the customer service @ Purity is pretty inadequate, the Red Baron is a pretty solid product. Mine is now 4 years old and looks 2 weeks old. In short, I would surely purchase it again and virtually everything is replaceable. I have the Rag Bag.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    While the customer service @ Purity is pretty inadequate, the Red Baron is a pretty solid product. Mine is now 4 years old and looks 2 weeks old. In short, I would surely purchase it again and virtually everything is replaceable. I have the Rag Bag.
    Thanks, Dave, I really appreciate it! I just ordered the Red Baron but got the Rag Bag (had previously thought we'd ordered the Tuff Duty bag, but husband says it's the Rag Bag one). Looking forward to receiving it.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

4. Back To Top    #4

I got a Stingray (from Leslies) that I think is similar to the red baron ... it has the replaceable collar and net. I seem to need a new collar every year from rubbing on my pebbleshean, but the original net is fine.

Oops, just saw you already ordered.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I got a Stingray (from Leslies) that I think is similar to the red baron ... it has the replaceable collar and net. I seem to need a new collar every year from rubbing on my pebbleshean, but the original net is fine.

Oops, just saw you already ordered.
    Thanks, Jason Hopefully my vinyl liner won't wear on the net of the one I'm getting. (I didn't know what pebbleshean was, so I googled it. I bet your pool is really nice!

6. Back To Top    #6

It is kind of like a smoother version of sand paper ... you you can imagine the plastic just wearing away. You should not have the same problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Got my Red Baron leaf rake today Only had a couple leaves in the pool, but I can tell it's going to be a great leaf rake. Glad I got the Rag Bag one and it was pretty easy to empty. My only critique is the handle is plastic so not sure how long that will last. But other than that, I really like it. Thanks for the recommendation, Dave!

8. Back To Top    #8

You mean the part that attaches to the pole is plastic? Or the pole you got is plastic?

The stingray I got is all metal with the plastic cuff.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You mean the part that attaches to the pole is plastic? Or the pole you got is plastic?

The stingray I got is all metal with the plastic cuff.
    The handle that attaches to the leaf rake frame and goes inside your pole is plastic, but on further discovery, it has metal underneath the plastic. I like the design but think they should have made the handle all aluminum. Now I'm just waiting for the leaves and bugs to build up so I can give it a proper workout