Chlorine dropped to zero

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Help, again my SWG pool dropped to zero chlorine. After being at 1.5 Friday, I added the correct amount of chlorine turned up the % of runtime on my AQR 15 and this am.... No chlorine all my other numbers Are good. Pool math says to add 164 oz of 8.25 bleach. But what us going in here? It seems my SWG is not keeping up with whTever is in the pool

You have too many threads and now I have no idea what your "history/story" is, so not sure what to recommend.

Have you SLAMed to confirm nothing in the water?
Have you test the SWG output to confirm a higher FC level?

This is why you should keep all your questions together.

Everyday my pool consumes around 2 to 2.5 ppm of FC, I target 7 ppm every morning and I make sure it never falls below 5 ppm according TFP CYA chart. Only two things consume chlorine; either organics or sunlight. Last time I struggled with high chlorine demand was when I had an algae bloom (When I purchased my new house with pool). Is there any way you can turnoff SWG for few days and add liquid chlorine until you get hold of the high chlorine demand situation.

Sorry about the mis post. I've been slamming then things seemed to be ok. SWG was installed 2 weeks ago. I jerk raising the % now up to bout 80+ we put in about 600 lbs of salt upon install as there was a salt reading already. Salinity on AQR says 4000 and instant us 3600. I'm baffled

Well, we recommend sizing a SWG for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. You installed a 40k cell on a 36k pool. Thus, you may need to run at 100% nearly 24/7 to maintain adequate FC.

How long are you running the pump/SWG?

At best, that SWG will generate 4.8ppm of FC in your pool running 100% 24/7. I think you will be looking at running 100% for 12 hours per day at the minimum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI, my pool is half your size and I am currently running the same SWG for 8 hours at 50% ... depending on your sun exposure and debris load, you may get by with less than what you just changed it too.

BUT, given that it dropped to zero. I might suggest raising the FC up to SLAM level and doing the OCLT before you start to dial in the SWG.

Did you post your CYA somewhere?

Your testing with strips?

If your water is clear, CC of 0, you need to check for an overnight chlorine lost test next (with SWG off) and if you pass that, you don't need to SLAM. Raise FC to 3 with bleach, then do the OCLT without SWG running.

If you pass, try running your pump 24/7 for a couple of days at 100% and see what your chlorine does.

So I started my OCLT tonight. My reading was FC 1 CC 0. This afternoon I raised my FC to at least 4. So it dropped 3 already. Now I test tomorrow am but if it already dropped 3, it can't be much better tomorrow my water is crystal clear. I just don't get what's going on. Do I have hidden algae somewhere ?

Where do you get that only a FC of 3ppm is needed?

To raise to SLAM level for the OCLT, you need to have the FC at 24ppm. And then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

After you pass the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM, then the minimum you should ever allow the FC to get is 5ppm (with bleach) or 3ppm with a SWG. See the FC/CYA Chart.

You likely have a lot of hidden algae since you keep letting the FC get WAY too low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.