Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine dropped to zero

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine dropped to zero

Help, again my SWG pool dropped to zero chlorine. After being at 1.5 Friday, I added the correct amount of chlorine turned up the % of runtime on my AQR 15 and this am.... No chlorine all my other numbers Are good. Pool math says to add 164 oz of 8.25 bleach. But what us going in here? It seems my SWG is not keeping up with whTever is in the pool
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine dropped to zero

You have too many threads and now I have no idea what your "history/story" is, so not sure what to recommend.

Have you SLAMed to confirm nothing in the water?
    Have you test the SWG output to confirm a higher FC level?

This is why you should keep all your questions together.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Everyday my pool consumes around 2 to 2.5 ppm of FC, I target 7 ppm every morning and I make sure it never falls below 5 ppm according TFP CYA chart. Only two things consume chlorine; either organics or sunlight. Last time I struggled with high chlorine demand was when I had an algae bloom (When I purchased my new house with pool). Is there any way you can turnoff SWG for few days and add liquid chlorine until you get hold of the high chlorine demand situation.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry about the mis post. I've been slamming then things seemed to be ok. SWG was installed 2 weeks ago. I jerk raising the % now up to bout 80+ we put in about 600 lbs of salt upon install as there was a salt reading already. Salinity on AQR says 4000 and instant us 3600. I'm baffled
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

5. Back To Top    #5

I want to highlight what Jason mentioned, you need to slam until you pass OCLT, without that you will be wasting your time and money. I would recommend follow the TFP slamming process to the word.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, we recommend sizing a SWG for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. You installed a 40k cell on a 36k pool. Thus, you may need to run at 100% nearly 24/7 to maintain adequate FC.

How long are you running the pump/SWG?

At best, that SWG will generate 4.8ppm of FC in your pool running 100% 24/7. I think you will be looking at running 100% for 12 hours per day at the minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. I run my pump about 8 hours a day. Funny thing is, before the SWG, I ran for 12 hours. But after reading pool school, I reduced the run time to 8

8. Back To Top    #8

I think the 4-8 hour range was for sufficient filtering... and assumes a larger (per recommendations) SWG if you're using one.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Right the short run is what is needed for general filtration and chemical distribution. But in Pool School it says that required time will vary for SWG as needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok I adjusted the timer to 12 hours on 12 off increased the SWG % to around 90

11. Back To Top    #11

FYI, my pool is half your size and I am currently running the same SWG for 8 hours at 50% ... depending on your sun exposure and debris load, you may get by with less than what you just changed it too.

BUT, given that it dropped to zero. I might suggest raising the FC up to SLAM level and doing the OCLT before you start to dial in the SWG.

Did you post your CYA somewhere?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes. My cya is 60+. I am going to start the slam process Just threw in 256 oz and it raised the level to around 3+ with a strip. Will test first tomorrow with the drop test before the slam considering the new adjustments

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, now this am readings are : FC 1 cc-0. I was going to start to slam but with 0 cc's is that necessary? Should I just raise my FC to 3?

14. Back To Top    #14

Your testing with strips?

If your water is clear, CC of 0, you need to check for an overnight chlorine lost test next (with SWG off) and if you pass that, you don't need to SLAM. Raise FC to 3 with bleach, then do the OCLT without SWG running.

If you pass, try running your pump 24/7 for a couple of days at 100% and see what your chlorine does.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

15. Back To Top    #15

No using Taylor. Just did a quick dip with a strip to get a fast idea. The Taylor kit showed my readings. Will raise to three and do the overnight test. Thank you

16. Back To Top    #16

So I started my OCLT tonight. My reading was FC 1 CC 0. This afternoon I raised my FC to at least 4. So it dropped 3 already. Now I test tomorrow am but if it already dropped 3, it can't be much better tomorrow my water is crystal clear. I just don't get what's going on. Do I have hidden algae somewhere ?

17. Back To Top    #17

Where do you get that only a FC of 3ppm is needed?

To raise to SLAM level for the OCLT, you need to have the FC at 24ppm. And then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

After you pass the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM, then the minimum you should ever allow the FC to get is 5ppm (with bleach) or 3ppm with a SWG. See the FC/CYA Chart.

You likely have a lot of hidden algae since you keep letting the FC get WAY too low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

I received that info from zimm in a pervious message to raise to 3. This am it was .5 FC and 0 cc. So I guess slamming is next. But the no cc is baffling to me

19. Back To Top    #19

CC are not always present. That is why there are 3 stopping criteria for the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

So I am going to need 7 gallons of 12.5 liquid chlorine to slam. Do I add that all at once ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast