Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New (Learning the Ropes); Great Site; Thanks TFP!

1. Back To Top    #1

New (Learning the Ropes); Great Site; Thanks TFP!

First, a BIG thanks to the keepers of this site for their help. Just having our fiberglass pool installed last year, I quickly fell victim to the "local" pool store guidance. Here in S. Texas (rural/country), it took only half of the 2013 season for our new crystal clear pool to show signs of green cloudiness/power on the bottom and sides. I believe it was probably because that "local store" kept telling me to "add more bags of shock" and crank-up the in-line chlorination, not to mention all the other junk they try to sell, thereby effecting my basic chemistry. This season, I bought "their" best test kit - even though I now know (from your site) it is inadequate for FC & CC testing. Gggrr! Now in 2014, here's what I've been doing ... 1st & foremost.... getting my CH and CYA back to earth. A week ago, CH was over 500 and CYA was over 110. After several days of recycling my water (draining while adding at same time), I have slightly better numbers. Here's where I'm at so far (using my inadequate Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Tst Kit # 18-576):

FC - well over 5 (best I can do w/ this kit)
    ph - 7.5
    TA - 140
    CH about 350
    CYA close to 80.

I just added another 20 oz of acid. Water is a little cloudy (not green though) at the deep end (7'). The green "dust" as I call it might still accumulate on the bottom after a day or two unless I really keep the liquid shock strong and sweep often - which I do. Still working on lowering the CH & CYA. Also have since removed all 3" pucks from my chlorinator and only use liquid bleach until I'm confident the CYA level is good. As expected due to the high CYA, I go through more bleach, and I clean my cartridge filter 1-2 times per day.

Having said all of that, and besides ordering a proper test kit as suggested by TFP, am I missing anything else significant? Any other suggestions that might prove valuable to getting us back to "crystal" clear mode? Thanks in advance folks.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New (Learning the Ropes); Great Site; Thanks TFP!

You're late! The rest of the Texans are here already!

Very nice first post! You are doing a great job.

The TF100 is the best bang for the buck and has great service. I also suggest you get the XL option and a speed stir! That should give you plenty of chems for next summer, too. Store kit properly.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ha! Wonderful. Will do. Thanks very much.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

My new 4-letter word ... SLAM! Proof is in the pudding. For the first time, I feel like our family can finally enjoy the fruits of our labor and investment. My thanks to Butterfly, the moderators, administrators, and contributors to TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Another Texas success story..............
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Beautiful!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

your pool look great!

enjoy!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Good looking pool! I like that coping a lot. Is that tipped pot a water feature or does it hold plants?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

THAT is a beautiful blue! brings a tear to my eye.

and welcome!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone. Yes. the pot is in fact a small waterfall. We didn't have it on in that pic. I'll have to post another soon. Thanks to all for the great advice. We love our TFP!