Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to clean cartridge filters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to clean cartridge filters?

I saw stickies for DE filters and sand filters, but not cartridge filters. So I've just recently purchased my house, and the cartridges for my filter (it's a large filter, so I have 1 very large cartridge, then one skinnier taller one that goes inside that one, model is in my signature) were fairly beaten up. They were heavily discolored, the pleats were not held apart well anymore, so they are not easy to clean (half of it you have to spread the pleats by hand to get the grossness out from between them. I purchased some new filters that I installed today (I've already had to clean out my old filters twice due to an algae problem). So now that I no longer 'need' these, I was planning on keeping them as a backup. A friend said he keeps his to open the season each year, then switches out to the newer ones after the pool is clear.

That being said, I'm looking for the best way to clean them. There are chemicals you can spray on them to clean them (the previous owner left a bottle of a degreasing chemical for cartridge filters), I've read that soaking them in cascade dishwashing detergent is also effective, soaking in muriatic acid solution, etc, and so I'm wondering what the best way to do it would be. I'd also have to clean my new ones at the end of the year, so I'd want to get things figured out now and buy what I need for that too.
    33,000 gallon gunite pool and Spa (in ground), SWG
    Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Filter (300 Sq. Foot cartridge filter)
    Jandy Lite2 Natural Gas Pool and Spa Heater

Maryland, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to clean cartridge filters?

I think there is an article in the further reading section of Pool School ... not positive though. I know there are threads that discuss it though if you search. There probably should be a sticky.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You already have what you need.

A nozzle like this one: http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6959258.JPG

Water hose.

A large enough container (AKA garbage can) to fully immerse your filter.

Automatic dishwasher detergent.

Bleach.

You probably don't need the acid wash, that is only if you get calcium build-up on your filters.

Spray your filters off thoroughly with the nozzle, getting in between the pleats -- but you already knew this.

You may not always have to soak your filters, but if you do, place them in the clean garbage can, and fill with enough water to cover the filters. Remove filters. Guesstimate the gallons remaining in your can, and add about 1/2 cup dry measure dishwashing detergent per every 5 gallons, and about a cup of bleach. Stir well. Add your filters back into the can. Soak overnight. Spray the soap and bleach out of your filters, getting as much as you can out.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's what I read on another forum, I just wanted to get a second opinion to make sure that the dishwashing detergent would work the same. Thanks!

Maryland, USA

5. Back To Top    #5

Very Helpful info and I wish I would have saved a filter for when I pressure wash my pavers... I will remember this tip for sure Thanks
    POOL: 15 x 30 IG Plaster Pool With Spa about 15,900 Gal 1996
    Single Main Drain + Spa Drain + Single Skimmer
    FILTER: Purex Triton CC150 150GPM Cartridge Filter 31 x 10
    PUMP: Pentair SuperFlo SF-N1-1A + Pentair Model 320 Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah it's worked well, though mine were so bad (and large) I soaked them once, then flipped them over in new water/soap/bleach and soaked again. I sprayed them off really well in between soakings and now I'm doing them a third time in just water/bleach. Hopefully tomorrow the water will run clearer off of them and I can let them dry out and store them for next year.

Maryland, USA