Need guidance with wood deck for Intex Ultra Frame 16X32

sca10

Sep 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
We are currently installing a 16x32 Intex ultraframe. We have been looking at websites for months getting ideas of pics and videos. (Absolutely love TFP-most helpful site on earth--sadly I have searched the whole thing) Recently we found an Israel pool site (no selling here--in fact I've emailed them twice with construction questions with no response--not surprising since the site is in Hebrew with "some" English translation.)They have tons of examples of videos going through construction to completion--have to go slow to try and pick up the details, if lucky. My concern is they appear so under engineered compared to everything I know and see here in the states. I was in construction for several years (live in Dallas, TX area--Wylie actually) but I built what an architect and/or engineer said for the most part. Now it's my house and I'm "slightly" concerned. Decks are a big expense and I don't want a tear out. Here are a couple of links to videos. I have included the minute/second point which pertains best to my concerns. Any input whether I should proceed with this type of construction would be greatly appreciated. What I like most about these vids is the deck actually goes over the top of the pool edge and wraps down, leaving only the water to look at--besides the deck of course. They are mostly 2x4 construction--doesn't look pressure treated but they use some type of tar on the bottoms of the ground contact posts in some of the vids. The site is www.seaspeed.co.il First vid is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQheZwIcW_w
Go to minute/second 2:23 Second vid is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IO9Xazlpyw Go to 1:115 This pool has small surround top deck and sides, hiding the pool completely which is what we want if we can afford. In looking at these vids I really don't understand how these edges goes down inside the lip of the pool without warping, or how bouncy/structurally sound the 2x4 construction would be. I'm shocked how few pools of this style I can find on web searches. Most of the pools we like "out of the box" are from New Zealand, England, etc. Really like the wood sided AGP's the best, but don't like the price. Any comments? Thanks

I love that company on youtube.... They've got some great ideas.... :) I've been wondering about that too.... I have a rectangle pool, its my second one, and I know how much the walls move.... I don't think it would be a good, long term solution, but you could do the deck so it finishes about 2 inches over the top frame of the pool to hide it, but I'm not too keen how they seem to "box" the frame in underneath their deck....

We haven't even set ours up yet so not familiar with how much movement the walls have? We actually like the way it covers the top edge--at least until we have problem or need to replace. Could be very tricky with full deck around. Seaspeed has so many examples of doing this type of full wrap over edge, using 2x4 framing--most I've seen don't even use 4x4 post supports? Really curious about the strength. We don't really want to see the pool at all--we just sold and moved into another house and lost our inground pool--don't really like the look or constant depth of intex, but makes it very doable as I would never justify the cost of building an inground--I only like the more expensive version--go figure.

Did you ever figure this out? SeaSpeed videos were the inspiration for our pool and we are doing our best to follow their lead. We have the hole dug and working on framing. I like the boxing in of the pool frame and hoped it would keep the pool walls from moving so much. We assumed they do it to keep it square? Anyhow, it appears the decking also nails to that frame. Would love to know of any experiences. I also emailed them and even offered to pay for advice but had no response.

Reactions: LayeredBismuth
@Mickelin I know it's a long shot but how did your deck (and pool) hold up? I assume the pool would need replacing before the deck? If so we're you able to do an in place replacement?

Hi Chi-Chi,

After six years, still looks great. I had to replace the liner after three years due to a rip caused by severe winter, where lots of snow came down from the roof onto uncovered pool with ice... Liner replacement was easy, only had to remove the boards inside the deck edge covering the pool rim. The pool frame seems to hold up well. No rust detected, even with SWG.

Reactions: chi-chi
Thanks so much for responding I am going to do the same as you did and try and follow your design as much as possible based off of the pictures you have shared. I really appreciate you responding and sorry to hear about your liner but everything you said has given me hope as I too have a SWG.

But your deck is exactly how I want to do it. If you have a build thread here I'll definitely be looking it up!

Reactions: Mickelin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Mickelin last question (for now lol) what ladder is that that you are using and how do you like it? I am looking to purchase a deck ladder
I also see that you live in Sweden which I assume has a pretty severe winter... how do you winterize your pool with the deck? I am thinking of lowering below the returns removing hoses etc and plugging the skimmer skimmer basket eyeballs and putting one of these safety covers over top a tarp that I will try to winch with an air pillow although with the pillow this safety cover might not work..

Thanks to @Mickelin I found someone to build a solid deck. Now I'm hoping to get many years before needing a replacement which I would be possible. Now I just need lighting ideas for the deck (thinking solar) to go with the pool lighting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.