Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need guidance with wood deck for Intex Ultra Frame 16X32

1. Back To Top    #1

Need guidance with wood deck for Intex Ultra Frame 16X32

We are currently installing a 16x32 Intex ultraframe. We have been looking at websites for months getting ideas of pics and videos. (Absolutely love TFP-most helpful site on earth--sadly I have searched the whole thing) Recently we found an Israel pool site (no selling here--in fact I've emailed them twice with construction questions with no response--not surprising since the site is in Hebrew with "some" English translation.)They have tons of examples of videos going through construction to completion--have to go slow to try and pick up the details, if lucky. My concern is they appear so under engineered compared to everything I know and see here in the states. I was in construction for several years (live in Dallas, TX area--Wylie actually) but I built what an architect and/or engineer said for the most part. Now it's my house and I'm "slightly" concerned. Decks are a big expense and I don't want a tear out. Here are a couple of links to videos. I have included the minute/second point which pertains best to my concerns. Any input whether I should proceed with this type of construction would be greatly appreciated. What I like most about these vids is the deck actually goes over the top of the pool edge and wraps down, leaving only the water to look at--besides the deck of course. They are mostly 2x4 construction--doesn't look pressure treated but they use some type of tar on the bottoms of the ground contact posts in some of the vids. The site is www.seaspeed.co.il First vid is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQheZwIcW_w
    Go to minute/second 2:23 Second vid is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IO9Xazlpyw Go to 1:115 This pool has small surround top deck and sides, hiding the pool completely which is what we want if we can afford. In looking at these vids I really don't understand how these edges goes down inside the lip of the pool without warping, or how bouncy/structurally sound the 2x4 construction would be. I'm shocked how few pools of this style I can find on web searches. Most of the pools we like "out of the box" are from New Zealand, England, etc. Really like the wood sided AGP's the best, but don't like the price. Any comments? Thanks
    Intex 16X32 with Intex pump and SWG--nothing installed yet and will upgrade to larger pump and DE filter after full install completed.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need guidance with wood deck for Intex Ultra Frame 16X32

I love that company on youtube.... They've got some great ideas.... I've been wondering about that too.... I have a rectangle pool, its my second one, and I know how much the walls move.... I don't think it would be a good, long term solution, but you could do the deck so it finishes about 2 inches over the top frame of the pool to hide it, but I'm not too keen how they seem to "box" the frame in underneath their deck....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

We haven't even set ours up yet so not familiar with how much movement the walls have? We actually like the way it covers the top edge--at least until we have problem or need to replace. Could be very tricky with full deck around. Seaspeed has so many examples of doing this type of full wrap over edge, using 2x4 framing--most I've seen don't even use 4x4 post supports? Really curious about the strength. We don't really want to see the pool at all--we just sold and moved into another house and lost our inground pool--don't really like the look or constant depth of intex, but makes it very doable as I would never justify the cost of building an inground--I only like the more expensive version--go figure.
    Intex 16X32 with Intex pump and SWG--nothing installed yet and will upgrade to larger pump and DE filter after full install completed.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you ever figure this out? SeaSpeed videos were the inspiration for our pool and we are doing our best to follow their lead. We have the hole dug and working on framing. I like the boxing in of the pool frame and hoped it would keep the pool walls from moving so much. We assumed they do it to keep it square? Anyhow, it appears the decking also nails to that frame. Would love to know of any experiences. I also emailed them and even offered to pay for advice but had no response.

5. Back To Top    #5

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHere's how I did mine. Hope you get some ideas.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

6. Back To Top    #6

Mickelin is yours actually underground? It's kinda hard to tell by the pics. Looks great though!
    Hopefully by 6/01/2017... 16x32x52 Intex Ultra Frame submerged 2 1/2 feet in ground Krystal Klear Saltwater Generator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! No, it is above ground. My house is sous-terrain, there used to be a sloping lawn where the pool is now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump