Beautiful CLOUDY blue water

May 31, 2014
Gettysburg PA
hello- I am in my second season with my in ground pool- old pool- new owner. Last year (first season) it was really easy, opened it up added some "floc" installed a Natures2 Express silver/copper gadget and the pool was trouble free all summer- shimmering sparkling clear. I couldn't have enjoyed it more and found it was really no work with my "bottom buddy" cleaner for vacuuming and minimal chemicals due to the Natures 2 thing.

THIS year is another story- Season started out normal BUT I bought this stuff from "In the Swim" called Super Clarifier. It did not work at all- not sure why since I followed directions exactly. I waited a week and added an entire bottle of FLOC which is what I used last year. It seems to settle a lot of stuff to the bottom overnight and I vacuumed it out.

But the problem is I can still see particles in the water- which is creating the cloudiness. I have been running the filter for over a week now trying to filter them out AND I have shut it off and tried to let it settle out again- but it doesn't settle out enough to make a big difference. I'm wondering if I should FLOC it again ? Shouldnt my filter be filtering out these particles ?

The pressure of the filter is good- so I think that is in working order. Though I do have 4 german shepherd dogs that are constantly in the pool so i might have a huge dog hair problem (but thats another topic?)

Thanks for any advice- Rose

Pool- In Ground 35 x 18 Concrete
Filter- Sand
Nature2 Express- Copper Silver installed gadget
4- German Shepherd Dogs, All frequent swimmers

Welcome!

We practice and preach the TFPC method, which is all about accurate testing and only putting into the pool what is needed - usually just plain laundry bleach.

We're happy to help, but you'll have to get off the Pool Store roller coaster first. Take a look at Pool School - start with the link in my signature - and let us know if we can help you take control of your pool.

All of the pool products you have mentioned are things we suggest you hardly ever need for a pool. Also, your dogs might contribute more than you think and shouldn't be addressed as another topic.

Anyway, none of us will suggest to keep doing more of what you're doing. Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll give you an idea of how we start with basic pool chemistry and add very accurate testing and, finally, knowing what to do with the results the testing has given us.

If what we teach is interesting to you, post back with lot's of questions and we will help where we can.

That said, tossing in Pool Products will not be part of what we teach

Precise test results will be. Can you post those?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.