Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Life after SLAM...what's next?

1. Back To Top    #1

Life after SLAM...what's next?

So very thankful to have found this site...after a 4 day SLAM, I was able to counteract a zero FC scenario and now I read and reread the TFPC for beginners sticky (great thread btw)...so now what?

Any useful tips or tricks for a newbie TFPC'er? Since the tests to be performed daily include PH and FC...I assume I use the fancy Taylor kit that came with my tftkit? When do you need to use the FASDPD kit again?

How frequently do you guys test for the full set of numbers after your initial?

Is there anything that is a common problem for TFPC beginners that you can point out so I avoid making the same mistake (besides the obvious of ignoring the pool)?

My daily routine since the SLAM has been to test FC and PH, clear the skimmer basket and add chlorine as needed. Weekly I vacuum and/or brush, clear the skimmer and pump baskets, and test for TA (doing that today for the first time since initial #s).

Am I missing anything or is it really that simple?
    Jon R
    13.5k Gal, AG Vinyl 24ft round
    Hayward DE EC40 & 1hp pump
    Older pool purchased with home last year.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Life after SLAM...what's next?

It's really that simple! Even simpler once you "learn" your pool and know what to expect how it will perform under different conditions. I suggest keeping a log of additions/conditions/changes. Ph I would check only every other day, and in time and knowing your pool----you can probably check FC that way as well. TA weekly-----cya monthly.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Start with basic pool care schedule.

The most common problem is chronic sparklypoolitis. I'm afraid it's uncurable.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a link to Basic Pool Schedule article in Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-care-schedule

As woody said, just get to know your pool Make sure you keep the FC in line with the CYA level.

Now, for all your work, you must now enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    Start with basic pool care schedule.

The most common problem is chronic sparklypoolitis. I'm afraid it's uncurable.
    oh, right! And don't forget about TFP "creating another pool snob"
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

How frequently do you guys test for the full set of numbers after your initial?
    The instructions in the TF-100 (is that the kit you have?) are fairly specific.

One side of the laminated card is for General testing techniques and DAILY testing.

The back side of the card is for WEEKLY testing.

Posting up a complete set of test results today would get your first week out of the way!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

SO first set of "weekly" test results based on the mad scientist kit instructions...

FC - 5.5
    CC - 0.5
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 120
    CYA -50

I haven't added chlorine since Friday...not too shabby. Didn't bother with the CH just since it doesn't seem relevant at the moment.

And my pool is definitely suffering from Chronic Sparklypoolitis...I just hope it's not contagious...
    Jon R
    13.5k Gal, AG Vinyl 24ft round
    Hayward DE EC40 & 1hp pump
    Older pool purchased with home last year.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sparklypoolitis is just the beginning. Soon you and your family will become Pool Snobs and refuse to get in cloudy, murky, smelly water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!